Taking the concours world by storm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the concours world by storm!

The 400 point UBER restored '64 R-2 Avanti owned by Mark Halsband continues to decimate all the competition. Halsbands Avanti is akin to the Incredible Hulk of the automotive world...........such is its ability to take on and 'eat up' all who would attempt to knock it off its heavenly perch. This Avanti takes home first place and best of show awards at a pace that should be memorialized within the pages of Hemmings Motor News!

What is more remarkable is the fact that Halsband does not trailer his award heroine, rather, he continues to actually drive this beauty, eschewing the pigeon hole term of "trailer queen"

Many have suggested this car be placed on static display at the SNM..one can only hope the SNM reaches out to Mr. Halsband to effectuate such an event.

This one?

Comment

Was this for sale a year or so ago? Is it located in Illinois?
      I wrote a 13 page inspection report for a client that wished to purchase.
      Only problems were exhaust hitting frame, weatherstrip on trunk, and inside carpeting was original and sun faded.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Brad, no......this car was in the great state of Pa.......and needed a complete and full restoration.... only due to Mr. Halsbands resources could this car have reached the amazing conclusion it has:-) His GT hawk is nothing to sneeze at either:-)
        Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Was this for sale a year or so ago? Is it located in Illinois?
        I wrote a 13 page inspection report for a client that wished to purchase.
        Only problems were exhaust hitting frame, weatherstrip on trunk, and inside carpeting was original and sun faded.

Comment

Is that Avanti Maroon, as opposed to Avanti Red?
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

[QUOTE=Hawklover;940609]The 400 point UBER restored '64 R-2 Avanti

Nice Avanti..perhaps even in the same league as Richard Vaux's 1964 Studebaker Avanti R4892! (The first production 'square light' Avanti, and the Avanti that Studebaker Corp. entered into the 1964 New York Auto Show)

Richard's Avanti is finished in the breathtaking 'Avanti Turquoise' color (Studebaker paint code #P-6332)

Anyway, getting back to Mark's car,.....why do you consider it to be OVER restored? (UBER )

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
              Is that Avanti Maroon, as opposed to Avanti Red?
              Yes Bill, you are correct!
              Jim
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Not over restored, just restored to the absolute highest standards...I know the Vaux Avanti, and I also know that Richard was an executive with Studebaker and "squirreled" away dozens of new factory parts back in the 60's......until he utilized them to restore his car. As wonderful as the Vaux example is, Halsband has to take the ultimate prize.....if the two cars were parked next to each other a truly keen "honest' eye would convincingly show how the Vaux car has to be second to Halsbands. I know you want to "champion" the car of a fellow resident of Massachusetts....but as Springsteen and Bon Jovi say ....Jersey boys "rule" and so does this Avanti:-)[QUOTE=SN-60;940645]
                Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                The 400 point UBER restored '64 R-2 Avanti

Nice Avanti..perhaps even in the same league as Richard Vaux's 1964 Studebaker Avanti R4892! (The first production 'square light' Avanti, and the Avanti that Studebaker Corp. entered into the 1964 New York Auto Show)

Richard's Avanti is finished in the breathtaking 'Avanti Turquoise' color (Studebaker paint code #P-6332)

Anyway, getting back to Mark's car,.....why do you consider it to be OVER restored? (UBER )

Comment

Yes Bob!.......this picture was taken at the NJ Concours in Holmdel, New Jersey. A little side note.....there exists a ton of "politics" at this show...with many million dollar vehicles(and owners worth many millions more) on the show field.....as such, on this day, the Avanti did not take home the coveted "best of show"....but the chief judge told Halsband (sub rosa) that his car honestly should have taken the award....but other "pressures" where in play that afternoon:-(
                  Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  This one?

Comment

[QUOTE=Hawklover;940699] I know you want to "champion" the car of a fellow resident of Massachusetts....but as Springsteen and Bon Jovi say ....Jersey boys "rule" and so does this Avanti:

Hawklover,.............Dick Vaux lives in New Hampshire!!

Comment

All the same.......Ocean Bay/Trispokes.....bean town devotees all:-)[QUOTE=SN-60;940707]
                      I know you want to "champion" the car of a fellow resident of Massachusetts....but as Springsteen and Bon Jovi say ....Jersey boys "rule" and so does this Avanti:

Hawklover,.............Dick Vaux lives in New Hampshire!!

Comment

Yes Bob!.. the Avanti did not take home the coveted "best of show"....but the chief judge told Halsband (sub rosa) that his car honestly should have taken the award....but other "pressures" where in play that afternoon:-(
                        Sounds intriguing!! .....how about explaining to us what other 'pressures' were 'in play' that afternoon Hawklover?

Comment

Ed, you can't be that naive, you sure your last name is Capozzi?????
                          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          Sounds intriguing!! .....how about explaining to us what other 'pressures' were 'in play' that afternoon Hawklover?

Comment

Sure is Sam! (Salik),........... I'd just like you to explain the 'pressures' Mr Halsband was under that afternoon? (Unless you have decided there really weren't any)...Thanks!

Comment

I suggest you contact the specific parties to the controversy, (because I know you are up to that chapter in your book that deals with this classified state secret) I said what I had to say!....and the Vaux car will never be the equal of the NJ "honey".......end of story
                              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              Sure is Sam! (Salik),........... I'd just like you to explain the 'pressures' Mr Halsband was under that afternoon? (Unless you have decided there really weren't any)...Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X