Looking for Studebaker Memories from Freeman SD area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Looking for Studebaker Memories from Freeman SD area

Some time ago I posted about a bored & destroked 1958 185 cu in engine. I purchased a 1948 champion 4 dr. containing this engine in Freeman SD in 2014. Someone went to the length to cut the oil pan to move the sump to the front by moving the large bearing/seal ends and rewelding them to the pan so it would fit the 48 frame. It appears the previous owner was a creative mechanic or knew one. The car was purchased in 1964 by a now diseased fellow named Otto Bittner . the car evidently had heating problems as it had a 6 blade aluminum fan for overheating, probably caused by the upside down head gasket. it was last licensed in 1967. Does anybody have connections to the Freeman SD area and an interest in mechanical history they'd like to share. I'm curious why someone made the engine displacement smaller, it was in a champion, not a midget racer.
    Point of interest, either the crankshaft lightly hit the shallow end of the pan or a hammer did for just a little more clearance.

While we have no connection to Freeman, our car was customized in 1954-5 in Custer, SD, by my wife's father and uncle.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
    X