clock repair and restoration - 1961 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: clock repair and restoration - 1961 Lark

I purchased a clock a few months back for my 1961 Lark wagon. I haven't tested it yet to see if if works, but I am considering the possibility of doing a quartz movement conversion. Does anybody here have any experience with this, and might anybody know which conversion kit to buy? I've seen a few out there for converting borg clocks and the like, but am frankly unsure which would work on the clock for my car.

In case I do keep it as it is - I am still in need of some parts for it, mainly the wire for electrical input and the mounting hardware and brackets to put it in the dash. Does anybody have hardware out there to install the clock into the dash or, failing that, might anybody suggest a way of mounting sans the proper hardware in the meantime?

Best,
    Albert

A casual check of this website brought up a complete NOS Studebaker Clock, though I'm not sure if it's the same exact model as yours:

He also has a reconditioned 1958-1962 Hawk clock. While that may not be correct, it does show a good shot of the aluminum mounting brackets on the back. Might be similar to yours?

He also provides a clock reconditioning service. Here's that link:

I have not used this vendor, no personal experience with him or his services. I am considering him for my 1947 Champion clock restoration.

Hope some of this might help? Good luck!

Michael
    mbhdesign -

Michael Hennessey
    Proud Owner
    1947 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Convertible

Comment

You might also try North Hollywood speedometer. There work is excellent. Small operation been in business for years. They put new in gauges in my 54. Commander and Quartz clock in my Edsel and Mustang. NHspeedometer.com

Regards
      Mark

Comment

Clockworks.com is very good. They can restore to original, or change to digital.

Comment

I would take knob off front, remove one or two little nuts on the back, gently pry back cover off and carefully remove front and back. There's a set of points much like in a distributor. Then can be lightly filed and will usually work again. Lubricate with a light machine oil, like sewing machine oil. What happen to many of them they're left to set in a vehicle long term and as the become dies there's not enough energy to fire the points so they kinda lightly weld together. It is a rachet type of mechanism , when points contact springs rachet back to rewind sorta. I've gotten several of them to work that way. Takes a bit of patience and steady hand. I've connected to a battery for a few hour to be sure they're gonna work and regulate the time. It's like rebuild an old Studebaker engine that's been dead for 50 years and having it come to life. Ya just about pee your pants with excitement. I never get tired of it.
          Hope this helps,
          Kim

Comment

Kim is absolutely right. Did the same thing to the clock in my '63 Avanti & now it works like a champ. I almost didn't want to put it back in because I just liked watching it run.

Comment

I have done many as Kim describes.....never a problem

Comment

To mount the clock to the dash you will need a mounting "plate", part number 1551999. Its a round metal disc and was used with the 1961 and 1962 Lark clocks.

Check with Studebaker vendors to see if they have one new or used. http://www.studebakervendors.com/index.htm#ANCHORTOP

I didn't see his name on the list, but Dave Thibeault would also be a good resource and he is not far from you in Maynard, MA.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Ray-Lin Restoration's website has a great "how to" on clock repair that might help.

This website is for sale! raylinrestoration.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, raylinrestoration.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Good info here. I bought a clock from Smiths for 200.00 about a year ago. A beautiful piece but stopped ticking after a couple months. This looks like a good project for this winter.

Comment

I have a clock, in the 59 Lark, that I have removed and got working again a few times but in this case it's the spring that comes away from where it was soldered/brazed. I tried to use solder to attach it but it appears to heat up and detach itself. Does anyone know what was used to attach it in the first place so I can try to replicate it or go something a tad stronger? Also, is there something wrong with the clock to make it do this?

Len

Comment

It must have a short in the coil to make the solder melt.

There's a picture hanging in the welding supply store of a 57 Chevy that blew up. The guy was carrying a tank of acetylene and the valve had a leak. Overnight the car filled with gas and when the clock contacts sparked during the rewind, the car blew up.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            It must have a short in the coil to make the solder melt.
                            The ignition coil or the coil in the clock?

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              The ignition coil or the coil in the clock?
                              The coil in the clock. I haven't worked on one of these clocks since the 70's, but mainly they need to be cleaned, oiled, and clean the contacts most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X