Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color should a '51 Champion engine and accessories be painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What color should a '51 Champion engine and accessories be painted?

Were the accessories, including oil filler cap, any different than the engine color?

jack vines
    PackardV8

I've seen some oil fill caps black and some engine green. I also wonder which is correct for my 1950 Champion?

I've read the oil filters were black when factory installed, and orange when dealer installed.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      I've seen some oil fill caps black and some engine green. I also wonder which is correct for my 1950 Champion?

I've read the oil filters were black when factory installed, and orange when dealer installed.
      I believe that oil filter info is correct. I remember reading a fairly authoritative article that said that the Fram filter cans provided to Stude for factory installation were painted black, but that the cans in the accessory kits provided to car dealers (of various brands) were painted orange.

WRT the other parts, it depends on whether or not it was on the engine when it was painted. The combination filler cab/dipstick probably got painted with the engine, but the AC filler caps used on the later engines were painted standard GM semi-gloss black.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-27-2015, 12:46 PM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
      X