PURPLE Studebaker Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PURPLE Studebaker Pickup

I am looking for the owner of a purple 1 ton Pickup who cruised Woodward Dream Cruise this year. Loved what I could see of the truck and the pics I took are blurred or blocked by other vehicles. I would just like to know about the truck. I would also like to know info on all the other Studes who cruised Woodward this year.

This wouldn't by any chance be it, would it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	00w0w_7zEsg4IuD0O_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1699993
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

A 1 Ton with a Pickup Box is extremely RARE! They have 9 Foot Boxes and few remain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 9 Ft_Dump Acadamy Blue8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1699994 Click image for larger version

Name:	57 9 Ft_Dump Acadamy Blue9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1699995
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        A 1 Ton with a Pickup Box is extremely RARE! They have 9 Foot Boxes and few remain.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46819[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]46820[/ATTACH]
        Not all 1 tons are 9' boxes. In fact MOST are 8' boxes and they are not rare. This is one of those myths a few Stude people seem to try to use to keep the masses confused. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

OK it was a 1/2 ton. One of the smaller ones. I should have known better. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
            Not all 1 tons are 9' boxes. In fact MOST are 8' boxes and they are not rare. This is one of those myths a few Stude people seem to try to use to keep the masses confused. Steve
            I have no personal experience, but the 57-61 parts book shows the 8' box as only being available on the 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks. (And as expected, the 9' box only being available on the one-ton 13 and 14 models.)
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm not 100% sure,but prior to 55 or more likely 56 one tons would only have 8' beds.
              Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              I have no personal experience, but the 57-61 parts book shows the 8' box as only being available on the 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks. (And as expected, the 9' box only being available on the one-ton 13 and 14 models.)
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                I'm not 100% sure,but prior to 55 or more likely 56 one tons would only have 8' beds.
                You're correct -- the 9' bed didn't become available until the 1956 2E series. Prior to that, the 6.5' bed was the only one available on the 1/2-ton models, and the 8'' bed was the only one available for the 3/4 and one-ton models. (I'm glad I covered my fanny in my earlier post by saying that I had only checked the 57-61 truck parts book. . . .)
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Off topic, but the photo of the purple truck reminds me of "what goes around, comes around." In '57-64, Studebaker put the big fiberglass grill and wide straight bumper on a formerly sleek body to make it look new and larger. To my eye, not an improvement, but has anyone noticed that's exactly the styling many manufacturers have recently used on their pickups; a massive front grille on the same size body.

Recently a friend commented on how much larger and heavier the new trucks were. I didn't want to embarrass him by showing him it was exactly the same truck underneath.

When Ford went to extensive use of aluminum in their pickups, one inside report said they were afraid customers would think light wasn't strong, so they upped the macho style of the front to make them look even more butch.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Does it look something like this? If so, I know a few things about it.

Bob

Comment

I agree with You Jack with these trucks today with massive "Brute front ends". with the Transtars I do like the look,though I'm all for long bed trucks.the short bed trucks look more front end heavy and out of balance IMHO.
                      Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Off topic, but the photo of the purple truck reminds me of "what goes around, comes around." In '57-64, Studebaker put the big fiberglass grill and wide straight bumper on a formerly sleek body to make it look new and larger. To my eye, not an improvement, but has anyone noticed that's exactly the styling many manufacturers have recently used on their pickups; a massive front grille on the same size body.

Recently a friend commented on how much larger and heavier the new trucks were. I didn't want to embarrass him by showing him it was exactly the same truck underneath.

When Ford went to extensive use of aluminum in their pickups, one inside report said they were afraid customers would think light wasn't strong, so they upped the macho style of the front to make them look even more butch.

jack vines
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

No cover needed Skip,I wasn't completely certain either
                        Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        You're correct -- the 9' bed didn't become available until the 1956 2E series. Prior to that, the 6.5' bed was the only one available on the 1/2-ton models, and the 8'' bed was the only one available for the 3/4 and one-ton models. (I'm glad I covered my fanny in my earlier post by saying that I had only checked the 57-61 truck parts book. . . .)
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I saw the truck in question at Woodward and 13 Mile. It was an M5...
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Rich, thanks for posting these shots of my favourite Studee truck.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46819[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]46820[/ATTACH]
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

BINGO! Tell me about it Bob!

- - - Updated - - -

Saw it @ Quarton & Woodward.
                              Last edited by pegaleg; 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X