Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 Commander getting more and more interesting.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Commander getting more and more interesting.........

So, I have sent out quite a few posts on this car. Things just get more interesting as I go. First it looks like the heater core and components were all taken out and the defroster was replaced new. There is nothing but a new fresh air vent box on the passenger side. As more history of this car materializes it appears it was a track racer. That also accounts for the power steering removal. I guess since I am in AZ I can just run the defroster for heat. Only need it for one day a year It also appears that the paint can be restored to a good 20 footer. I am thinking it might be easier to get a vintage air AC/heater unit and put it in instead of an original unit. Any thoughts out there?
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Hi looks like you have a great project and a fine start on it. I just put a under dash unit in my 55 coupe if I had to do it again it would have been a unit that is a/c heat/defoster. First off the defroster motor and fins get in the way then the heat control valve and the under seat heat can be a pain if you want some other kind of seat. Now you don't hve that stuff anyway so why try to find it all? Just my 2 cents.

Comment

If you get a Vintage Air setup,would it be universal or something designed to fit a Studebaker? Always wondered how that worked.

Comment

there's been a lot of chatter lately on the former racers. Do you have anything on the history of this car?

Comment

I am trying to find more information about the racing part. Does anyone know of someone that has more knowledge of that? The car came from Wisconsin and was driven to El Paso in the 90's. I know it came with a nice 8 track radio.
          51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
          53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Airconditioners were first offered as an option in 1955.Made by Novi.
            They were trunk mounted units with plexiglass tubes in the rear package shelf.
            They were 6 volt in 1955 and 12 Volt in 1956 and 1957.
            Some left over units were dealer installed in 1958.
            Factory installed units were under dash units in 1958.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
            X