1565792 Brake Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1565792 Brake Drums

I bought a pair of NOS brake drums at the meet here. The part number is 1565792. They are drums without hubs. I can find the part number in my 1971 parts price list but cannot find it anywhere else. They are 11" by 2 3/8" drums. Does anyone know if there is anything special about these drums and why they listed them under a different part number? I know they are V8 front drums and do not have fins but am always curious when studebaker changes the part number. I know they sometimes did this as they changed vendors. There is also a tag on each with JA2166 on it.

Thanks in advance
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

It is definitely in the 1965-'66 Part Number Range, so it must be a Superceeded Number for the Front 11 Inch smooth V8 Front Drum, possibly from a Canadian Supplier, because it is not listed in the '65-'66 Chassis Parts Catalog.

The first thing I thought of was a Flanged Axle Rear Drum, but an 11 Inch, would have to be a Finned one for Front Discs.

The Avanti II peculiar Parts got their own non-Studebaker, Avanti Motors Numbers, so I don't think it would be one of those smooth "replacement" 11" Rear Drums they used on New Avanti II's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It is definitely in the 1965-'66 Part Number Range, so it must be a Superceeded Number for the Front 11 Inch smooth V8 Front Drum, possibly from a Canadian Supplier, because it is not listed in the '65-'66 Chassis Parts Catalog.

The first thing I thought of was a Flanged Axle Rear Drum, but an 11 Inch, would have to be a Finned one for Front Discs.

The Avanti II peculiar Parts got their own non-Studebaker, Avanti Motors Numbers, so I don't think it would be one of those smooth "replacement" 11" Rear Drums they used on New Avanti II's.
      Thanks, they are from a Canadian Supplier so maybe that explains them.
      Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The 1561792 rear drum fits a flanged rear axle in disc brake equipped cars. Aren't they all 11" diameter? The 2 3/8 width sounds about right for a disc brake car too.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

thanks, that is even better than I expected
          Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I'm not too familure with the Studebaker parts numbering system, but on the Ford Model A parts can have a part number cast into the part which is different than the Chassis Parts List shows. That's because the number on the cast part is for that part only, but the Chassis Parts List is for the assembly, since the part is not sold separately. An example is the spare tire carrier on the rear of my Model A, which is only sold with the studs swaged in place, but the cast arm has a different part number cast in it.

Comment

Working...
            X