Hawk gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk gone

I sold my '64 GT Hawk to another Studebaker enthusiast on Saturday. He paid me a fair price, but I ended up taking a bath on the deal. When I bought the car in 2012, I obviously over-valued it. I thought the rarity of the model and the fact it had a 289 4V with auto floor shift, full instrumentation, pwr steering, power disc brakes, etc. and even original warranty paperwork from when it was sold new in Feb 1964, made it a highly desirable vehicle. My plan was to restore it. But life events and memories of spending four years and tens of thousands of $$$ getting my '63 Avanti fixed up altered my plans for the Hawk. So, she's a gone, her parts will help out the buyer with his Hawk. And, he can always distribute other leftover parts to needy owners. In essence; "the dead Studebakers help the living ones."
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Kind of a sad story....but at least it's off your mind now.

Comment

new reality = new-normal.......

Comment

Sometimes you just have to walk away. I had a 62 Daytona that became more of a project than I wanted. I sold it at a loss to some friends. No regrets. I learned some things that I can use on my current project. After all, it's just a hobby.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Indeed! I am not a car restorer, nor flipper. I just happened to like Studebakers since I was a kid in high school in the early 70's. Which was an odd situation in the first place since NO one in my family ever owned a Stude to my knowledge. I grew up with my Dad driving new Pontiacs, Olds and Caddies. In his business they used VWs, Ramblers and Econoline vans. My Granddad was a Chevy man; '57 and his last was a '67, both bought brand new. My uncle was a Buick and Chrysler man. As a teen, I read about Raymond Loewy and the '53 Stude in a classic car magazine. By spring of '73, I owned a '53 coupe.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Sometimes you just have to walk away. I had a 62 Daytona that became more of a project than I wanted. I sold it at a loss to some friends. No regrets. I learned some things that I can use on my current project. After all, it's just a hobby.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for letting it go...........some of the parts may end up on my 53.
            Jack
            Jack White
            Charlotte,NC
            North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Sounds like the same story as your Avanti but a lot cheaper, sorry we don't have a Violin stroke'n Smiley!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                Jack
                Believe it 53 Body is in better shape than my 55. Someday hope to have it as good but it won't be soon. Having to find and built things one agonizing part at a time

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Hobbies have no internal logic nor any real bottom line. Never add up the cost of doing something enjoyable, even if it's buying and passing on an unfinished Studebaker project. Has anyone ever heard a golfer say, "I really took a bath on that golf holiday in Palm Springs." Or a skiier say, "I really took a bath on that week in Aspen." They also ended up with nothing but memories and the experience.

I'm reminded of an old southern joke. A poor farmer barely had enough money to buy a piglet and feed it til grown. The pork market went down and when he sold he only got back about what it cost to buy and feed it. A neighbor gave him grief about losing money on the deal. The first farmer said, "Don't fergit, I had the use of him for two years."

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

To quote Kenny Rogers in his song "The Gambler", "you've got to know when hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run." Everyone has their own limits, both financial as well as time and talent to finish a particular car. If you're not up for it, then its best to try and pass it along to some one more game to try it.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Ed, PM sent.
                      JS
                      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I'm sure there are a lot of parts there you can use, Jack. Best of luck. I'd like to see you get that '53 done. A '53 coupe 6 cyl was my 1st Stude 40+ years ago.

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                        Jack
                        - - - Updated - - -

Gotcha! I relayed your info. Good luck buddy.

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                        Ed, PM sent.
                        JS
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

I think the right gentlemen got my Hawk. He'll make good use of it and help out others too. I may've lost some $$$. But I shudder to think what the car would look like now if I hadn't rescued it and it had been left outside uncovered in the weather another 3 years. I knew at least 2-3 gents around my home area of Caldwell County, NC that let multiple Studes like Hawks, trucks and Larks sit around and literally decay back into the earth rather than sell them at a reasonable price. And, I'm talking Silver and Golden Hawks and '64 Larks. Those men and their cars are long dead now.

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                          To quote Kenny Rogers in his song "The Gambler", "you've got to know when hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run." Everyone has their own limits, both financial as well as time and talent to finish a particular car. If you're not up for it, then its best to try and pass it along to some one more game to try it.
                          Last edited by edpjr; 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM.
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

That's the factual story of the Studebaker owner/restorer. Always looking for some part. Always fixing something. But having some fun and exuding pride along the way. With the Hawk gone, I'm gonna get the seats covered and a coat of paint slapped on my '66. It's finally mechanically sound again and still very low mileage.

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                            Believe it 53 Body is in better shape than my 55. Someday hope to have it as good but it won't be soon. Having to find and built things one agonizing part at a time

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

I sold my 1932 Studebaker 55 Regal sedan last year to a buyer in Norway. hated to see that 15 year old dream go, but just couldn't justify spending ~$25K making a $12K car. I still feel sad, but it's also a relief not to stress about it. Now I gotta worry about what to do with the Hawk.....

Comment

Working...
                              X