• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk lock part needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1748405Does anybody out there have the extension piece and the clip for a 61 trunk lock? Mine came up missing, in my accident. (listed under "A Sad Day"). Thanks.
    David G. Nittler

The Lock Housing is sold separately also the Lock Cylinder and Key, and of course the Retainer Clip.

The little latch "tripper" lever is part of the Housing.
    So this is a picture of yours before you lost it, or someone else's? The reason I ask is it looks COMPLETE to me.

See PM sent to you.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This one is mine. Is there not an extension that fits into the deal that unlocks the trunk when turned? Thanks
      David G. Nittler

Comment

The tail you see on your Housing and Lock Assy. just trips the lever on the Trunk Latch.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok I'll figure it out. Thanks.
          David G. Nittler

Comment

This is mine.
            David G. Nittler

Comment

It maybe that you have a 1959/60 lock which is a little shorter than the 1961.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

This is a 61 Lark trunk key tumbler, I'm sure I've placed it back in the parts tub, but the extension you speak of is longer for 61 (as others have said) I'll check later and measure exactly what the length is.

I recall a Turning Wheels article dealing with the varing lock tumblers for the Larks some time ago, maybe that joggs the memory of other members.

And lastly, (Parts book searching.....see if all the release mechanisms that bolt to the underside of the deck/trunk lid are the same. I suppose you have the wrong key tumbler though.

Just a wild hunch but makes sense, the 61 trunk was stamped with the raised feature versus the smooth 59-60 thus needing a longer reaching key tumbler, so the internal parts are most likely the same. (also there's a flatter profile of the trunk lid itself along the back glass trunk seam. they fit the 61 but the 59-60 arch more in the middle.
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

My lock looks like your picture and works. When I had the accident (see "A Sad Day") the latch broke off. It was laying in the trunk. The lock was taken out by the body shop and saved. When all was done the shop installed the latch in its place, but not the lock. (The lock is my original lock and works). Anyway I put the lock, new rubber gasket and clip in the hole, as instructed by the shop manual. I installed the latch and nothing worked when the key turns. The looks to be a gap between the lock and the latch, so I am not sure what is missing..Other than that my car is finished and ready for action. (I could use a couple of stock wheels though)
                  Thanks
                  David G. Nittler

Comment

Exactly WHAT "Broke off" in the accident?

If you are talking about the "U" shaped "Striker" on the Body, that would have to be replaced but it would not effect/prevent the Lock from releasing the Latch.

If the Latch endured enough force to break its 4 mounting bolts, there could be damage to it.
                    Sounds like the spring in the Latch is broken or the Release Lever in it is bent, and may require a new Trunk Latch which is part of the damage and should have been included.

Here it is:

From this Post: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ark-Trunk-Lock
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2015, 04:22 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looking at the situation, with both lock and latch installed, it looks like the lock shaft is 1/4 inch short to hitting the latch release.. I measured the shaft and I get end to end of shaft 7/8" or entire shaft 1 inch". I have a part number of xo1673. So what do you suppose is happening? I wonder if somebody put a 59-60 lock in years ago???? I had no reason to look at it until I had the accident. Is the 61 housing and shaft longer than what I measured? (I am not sure why the lock and latch would not work after the accident if they are not broken and everything was repaired correctly) Thanks for the help.
                      David G. Nittler

Comment

David, "see StudeRich's picture of the trunk latch in post #10" I wonder is it possible that the trip lever on Your latch got bent "in MORE of a curved shape" in the accident.it already has a natural like curve if You were to look at a side view of the latch.maybe now it has more curve and has pulled it further away from the lock housing,You say there's a gap between the two. this is just a wild guess,and I'm grabbing at straws - but I've seen just such things happen when parts are involved in collisions,the naked eye may not pick up on the weird shaped pieces.
                        Originally posted by drnittler View Post
                        Looking at the situation, with both lock and latch installed, it looks like the lock shaft is 1/4 inch short to hitting the latch release.. I measured the shaft and I get end to end of shaft 7/8" or entire shaft 1 inch". I have a part number of xo1673. So what do you suppose is happening? I wonder if somebody put a 59-60 lock in years ago???? I had no reason to look at it until I had the accident. Is the 61 housing and shaft longer than what I measured? (I am not sure why the lock and latch would not work after the accident if they are not broken and everything was repaired correctly) Thanks for the help.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It sure doesn't look bent but I"lllook again. According to Studerich's picture the latch looks straight up and down. Thanks
                          Last edited by drnittler; 09-13-2015, 01:11 PM.
                          David G. Nittler

Comment

Update..My latch matches the latch in the picture. So I guess I am back at the lock housing length
                            David G. Nittler

Comment

Two thoughts;

First, how are you checking the activation of the latch? Keep in mind the latch is spring loaded and needs to be "set" by closing the trunk lid where the latch catches the "loop" on the rear trunk panel. If you are checking this with the trunk lid open are you manually "setting" the latch to mimic it's closed position, as that will change the position of the latch lever?

Second, the trunk lid is made up of an inner and outer panel which are welded together at the factory. The lock attaches to the outer panel and the latch to the inner panel. The relationship (distance) between the two needs to be pretty specific in order for these two items to connect. If that relationship (distance) changed due to the accident it will fixed in order for the two to connect.
                              Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT
                              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                              X