Fender and Door Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Fender and Door Swap

I would like to know if there are any fitment problems with installing 53/54 "C" coupe front fenders and doors on a 60 or 61 "C" Hawk and would a Packard Hawk fiberglass front nose fit up to the 53/54 front fenders?

For the second part - the front of the fenders would have to be altered/reworked for the nose to fit.
    For the first part - that depends on inner fender use or are you only referring to the outer fender?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studegary, I sent you a P.M. explaining what I'm trying to do and requesting your advice. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by studebacher View Post
        Studegary, I sent you a P.M. explaining what I'm trying to do and requesting your advice. Thanks.
        I attempted to reply to your PM twice and it would not go through. I will now attempt to reply to your PM here.

The 1953-1956 C body doors will fit and give you the swoop. The 1956 is a slightly shorter swoop.
        All of the 1953-1964 C/K fenders have the crease/line that leads into the swoop. You do not need to change your 1960 fenders (inner or outer) for this.
        If you keep your 1960 fenders, you do not have to worry about inners.
        Studebaker modified the lower front of K fenders for the Packard Hawk. This allows the nose piece to fit nearly flush. This modification will be easier on a steel fender than a fiberglass replacement (IMO). Somone that has or is redoing a Packard Hawk should be able to give you pictures and dimensions for this fender modification.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Interesting Gary, I had no idea that "56" had a shorter rear portion of the scallop than all the others.just how noticeable is this,or do You really need to measure.
          Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I attempted to reply to your PM twice and it would not go through. I will now attempt to reply to your PM here.

The 1953-1956 C body doors will fit and give you the swoop. The 1956 is a slightly shorter swoop.
          All of the 1953-1964 C/K fenders have the crease/line that leads into the swoop. You do not need to change your 1960 fenders (inner or outer) for this.
          If you keep your 1960 fenders, you do not have to worry about inners.
          Studebaker modified the lower front of K fenders for the Packard Hawk. This allows the nose piece to fit nearly flush. This modification will be easier on a steel fender than a fiberglass replacement (IMO). Somone that has or is redoing a Packard Hawk should be able to give you pictures and dimensions for this fender modification.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            Interesting Gary, I had no idea that "56" had a shorter rear portion of the scallop than all the others.just how noticeable is this,or do You really need to measure.
            Frank Ambrogio just recently published an article on this.

Comment

Thanks Matt, always learning some thing new.hard to believe Studebaker would spend money on some thing that really didn't need changing .I wonder how many doors were changed over the Years,and left Cars with mixed matched sets "and no one even knew"
              Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Frank Ambrogio just recently published an article on this.

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/newslpdf/56jon081.pdf
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks Matt, always learning some thing new.hard to believe Studebaker would spend money on some thing that really didn't need changing .I wonder how many doors were changed over the Years,and left Cars with mixed matched sets "and no one even knew"
                There's a very nice '53 here in Florida with one of each type on it. I remember looking at the car 10 years ago from the front, with both doors open. One of the guys that helped restore it pointed out the difference in the door swoops, saying he used a door from a '56J. He then said, "You're the only person I've ever told that to.. I don't think the owner is even aware of it!"

Comment

Thanks Matt, always learning some thing new.hard to believe Studebaker would spend money on some thing that really didn't need changing .
                  But it was felt that this change was needed. The swoop was shortened up to clear the higher side moulding. The side moulding was brought up from the rocker panel to the doors to make the car appear lower.
                  The next year, a bigger change was made to the doors that eliminated the swoop.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary,
                    Your P.M. showed up in my inbox. I sent you another P.M. as I still have a few questions and it appears that yes, you are the expert on body styling used by Studebaker. I will try to P.M. you a picture of the fiberglass fender I referred to. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Comment

So I guess they felt the lower moulding needed to be that wide,if made more narrow maybe it would have been effective and missed the swoop ? interesting about this stuff.
                      Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      But it was felt that this change was needed. The swoop was shortened up to clear the higher side moulding. The side moulding was brought up from the rocker panel to the doors to make the car appear lower.
                      The next year, a bigger change was made to the doors that eliminated the swoop.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

So I guess they felt the lower moulding needed to be that wide,if made more narrow maybe it would have been effective and missed the swoop ? interesting about this stuff.
                        Yes, one day in the garage (decades ago), I remember having a discussion with Bob Bourke about the 1956 Golden Hawk side mouldings. The 1956 models were the end of Bob's involvement with Hawk design.
                        As an aside, Bob personally made the mold and molded the small fins for his own 1954 Starliner (they are metal, not fiberglass like on a 1956 Golden Hawk).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                        X