Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new studebaker owner

Hello!

My name is Christian and I have recently bought a 1940 Studebaker Commander to restore. I've always loved older cars from this era and decided it was best if I got one to fix up myself with the help of some friends. The whole process is new to me so I am learning as I go. I've joined up because I am sure I will need to seek advice from other Studebaker owners and this looked like the ideal place.

The car is not in running condition and needs a ton of work. Here is what it looked like the day I picked it up. Currently the engine is out and I am in the process of rebuilding it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150711_12_15_31_Pro__highres.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1748386

I am looking forward to getting my first edition of the magazine and getting to know you all.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Christian.

THE very FIRST thing you are going to need is a Shop Manual and it would help a lot to have the Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs as well.

Parts for Pre-war Cars are a lot harder to find, but some are out there, even a few here:

We can help more with Local contacts etc. if we knew your Location, you can change your "Profile" with Edit mode to include a City and State.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi StudeRich.

Thanks for the link. I will check that site out.

In fact the very first thing I did was order all 3 manuals That is good advice.

I live in Gilbert Arizona and updated my profile to reflect that. I know studebakerparts.com is located near me in Phoenix but would love to know of other resources as well.

Comment

Christian,
        I hope you have joined the SDC, as well as this forum. The monthly Turning Wheels magazine will open a world of resources.
        You can find your local chapter and folks of like mind here.

Pre-war vehicles are also of special attention in the Antique Studebaker Club http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Christian,

I hope that "restore" means that you intend to keep your car original. Some neophytes seem to have the mistaken idea that anything with a fresh coat of paint is restored. Street rods, rat rods, resto-rods, and customs are not restored cars. I am just asking so that the forum members know how best to help you with your project.

My personal opinion is that "fat fendered," four door cars from the late thirties and early forties are much better appreciated as stock historical icons, then as a rod project. It will never be a coupe, convertible or even a two door sedan, which the rodders seem to like the best. So consider carefully any alterations from original before making any irreversible change that you may later regret.

Comment

Hi Christian, and welcome aboard! There are tons of helpful Studebaker devotees here that are eager to help you on your quest and follow your progress...we love pictures!

I, too, prefer to keep my cars as close to original as practical, with concessions to safety modifications. At the end of the day though, its your car and your money, and you will find that the members' tastes here span the spectrum from bone stock to full blown customization. What we all agree on, however, is our joy at seeing another Studebaker on the road.
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Welcome Christian, I really like the 39-41's . The styling is great. When you can post us other pictures. Looks like you have a good one to start. There's a lot of people here on the forum that can help you. As already mentioned, get some literature from the beginning. I am not too knowledgeable on this year, but there are plenty others that are. Congratulations beginning your new journey.

Comment

Hello Christian, I love that car. I had one of those 1n 1970. Loved it, but had a wreak and was out of work for 2 months and had to sell it to buy groceries. Good luck with yours.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Hi rockne10. Yes I have joined SDC as well as the forum. I will check those links out as well!

Hello Hallabutt! I plan on making very few modifications to the vehicle (please forgive me! . I live in AZ so I must put in A/C which will mean I also need to update to 12 volt and probably an alternator. I will probably also put in some seat belts also. So far that is all I plan on doing though. I have the original engine, trans, chrome, and seat benches that I plan on using at this point. We are currently rebuilding the engine and will need a new camshaft gear and valve due to damage but so far the block looks good. I do not care to go fast so the original 90ish horsepower engine is just perfect for me.

Nice to meet you also StudeNewby, Flashback, and rockinhawk!

Here are a couple other pictures of the work in progress. The last picture is why the car stopped running. The destroyed gear was caused by a stuck valve which we extracted last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150725_07_29_56_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1699966Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150730_22_39_33_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1699967Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150725_08_41_32_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB