Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I HATE spring bushings! What's your pet peeve?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE spring bushings! What's your pet peeve?

Of all the mean, nasty jobs I've done on cars over the years, replacing the spring bushings on my '63 Wagonaire Standard has to rank near the top of the list. I don't have a lift, so the car is up on jack stands, and I've had to do most of this work on my back under the dirty car. [If I EVER do another major project, I'm going to have someone else power wash and sandblast the bottom FIRST.]

On the first bushing, I tried the thing with pulling them out using threaded rod and a big plug - forget it! Then, I went delicately with a hammer and cold chisel, learned to cut through the outer tube to get the %$#*& things loose. It took hours! The second one I used a hacksaw blade set backwards in the frame to cut through the shell, but it was still tough to drive the shell out. Then I went and bought an air chisel. Why did I never own one before? Even then, the fat bushings in the front spring eyes needed to be set on fire with the MAPP torch to get the inner tube and rubber out before I could use the air chisel on it. [Yes, the gas tank is out of the car.] Six bushings, skinned knuckles, aching muscles, and countless hours - and the car doesn't LOOK any different. Anyway, it's finally done and I can move on to some other job.

What's the task that you hate most when working on Studebakers?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Gary; I think it's gotta be the upper and not as much, the lower Outer "A" arm pins and bushings in my '59 Lark. If you read my posts:
    Upper outer A arm bushing Install
    and:
    Today's episode of the Great outer Pin Repair
    You know what I mean, trying not to distort the upper arm any more than necessary even WITH the spreader tool was a *%$#@*&? nasty job! I've done the rear spring bushings and for me it wasn't too bad.
    We heated the spring eyes to expand them a bit, drove out the bushings and the ones in the frame at the rear looked OK, they would be the worst, it was a '63 Wagonaire.
    By the way, thats a REALLY awesome 3 car garage you built, I saw the site you linked to, on another post, about garage heating.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gary; I think it's gotta be the upper and not as much, the lower Outer "A" arm pins and bushings in my '59 Lark. If you read my posts:
      Upper outer A arm bushing Install
      and:
      Today's episode of the Great outer Pin Repair
      You know what I mean, trying not to distort the upper arm any more than necessary even WITH the spreader tool was a *%$#@*&? nasty job! I've done the rear spring bushings and for me it wasn't too bad.
      We heated the spring eyes to expand them a bit, drove out the bushings and the ones in the frame at the rear looked OK, they would be the worst, it was a '63 Wagonaire.
      By the way, thats a REALLY awesome 3 car garage you built, I saw the site you linked to, on another post, about garage heating.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Concerning jobs you hate, I just really hate running mice out of a headliner. Another was the spring day when the sheep got out and piled into the garage to eat a salt block stored there. They scattered my tools everywhere, turned my motorcycle over trapping one of them underneath it and most unfortunately, the spring grass had loosened their digestive system up and believe me, washing green sheep manure off a white car gave me a reason to dust off a lot of four letter words I hadn't used in a long time.

Comment

Concerning jobs you hate, I just really hate running mice out of a headliner. Another was the spring day when the sheep got out and piled into the garage to eat a salt block stored there. They scattered my tools everywhere, turned my motorcycle over trapping one of them underneath it and most unfortunately, the spring grass had loosened their digestive system up and believe me, washing green sheep manure off a white car gave me a reason to dust off a lot of four letter words I hadn't used in a long time.

Comment

I hate ANY job that I have to do TWICE (or more) when the "new" part
            turns out to be bad. Its bad enough to spend all that time, but to
            have to do it again, because the new part was/went bad. That sucks.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I hate ANY job that I have to do TWICE (or more) when the "new" part
              turns out to be bad. Its bad enough to spend all that time, but to
              have to do it again, because the new part was/went bad. That sucks.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The only task I don't look forward to with a Stude, is getting the rear axle hub nuts off. The rest is (to my mind) reasonably simple, it's more a matter of equipment-induced difficulties. Most Stude jobs are quick and easy if you have the right tools.
                As opposed to some modern car bits which are not meant to be repaired, only replaced. Some are so bad you have to lift the engine out (or the body off) to get at various components.
                I'm quite happy to work on a Stude.
                /H

Comment

The only task I don't look forward to with a Stude, is getting the rear axle hub nuts off. The rest is (to my mind) reasonably simple, it's more a matter of equipment-induced difficulties. Most Stude jobs are quick and easy if you have the right tools.
                  As opposed to some modern car bits which are not meant to be repaired, only replaced. Some are so bad you have to lift the engine out (or the body off) to get at various components.
                  I'm quite happy to work on a Stude.
                  /H

Comment

Gary, I made the same statement about spring bushings just yesterday on the Technical forum. A real P.I.T.A.
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Gary, I made the same statement about spring bushings just yesterday on the Technical forum. A real P.I.T.A.
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I am not partial to undercar repairs such as changing an oil pan gasket or the heavy iron case automatic trans in the older cars. I don't care for doing spring and control arm bushings, either. I always burn the old rubber insert out, and use an air chisel to remove the shell. I like to polish up the inside of the spring eye a bit with a roll abrasive in a drill, and put some antiseize compound in it before I press the new one in.

Comment

I am not partial to undercar repairs such as changing an oil pan gasket or the heavy iron case automatic trans in the older cars. I don't care for doing spring and control arm bushings, either. I always burn the old rubber insert out, and use an air chisel to remove the shell. I like to polish up the inside of the spring eye a bit with a roll abrasive in a drill, and put some antiseize compound in it before I press the new one in.

Comment

Exhaust work! Not having a car lift or torch I find removing rusty old mufflers, hangers, pipes and clamps to be a real pain, especally all that dusty, rusty junk that finds its way to your face and why is it that the new replacement parts just never fit right? The last two exhaust repairs I brought to the local muffler shop, problem solved.

Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                            1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                            Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT

Comment

Exhaust work! Not having a car lift or torch I find removing rusty old mufflers, hangers, pipes and clamps to be a real pain, especally all that dusty, rusty junk that finds its way to your face and why is it that the new replacement parts just never fit right? The last two exhaust repairs I brought to the local muffler shop, problem solved.

Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT
                              1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                              Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT

Comment

Working...
                              X