Transmission explanations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission explanations

I need some help understanding the different transmissions. I see Automatic Drive, Flight o matic, Cruise o matic, Mx, 3 speed w/overdrive

Do any of the transmissions have an extra overdrive gear or is that what they call the top gear?

I here it is a 3 speed with over drive.
    or
    Three gears or four?

Starts in second, does that have an overdrive gear?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

There ARE no Studebaker Automatics with Overdrive.
    Also, NO 4 Speed Automatics, this was 1964!

What you are hearing of are the MANUAL, 3 speed, column shift OVERDRIVE Transmissions very common in Studebakers, that do have an Electric Overdrive that is actually an extra ratio available in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. but of course would normally be used in 2nd. or Direct 3rd. (High) to achieve the Overdrive Ratio saving engine wear, Oil, Fuel and Noise.

The Flight-O-Matic column shift has ordinary 3 speeds with 3rd. being High (Direct) but starts in 2nd. unless "L" is selected, just like an early Ford-O-matic, Cruise-O-Matic, Merc-O-Matic or Rambler/AMC Flash-O-Matic nothing exotic, mysterious or unusual here, unless you were not driving age in the 1960's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Also, NO 4 Speed Automatics, this was 1964!
      Only slightly OT, but it's not often Rich can be annotated in even the least detail. The first widely successful automatic transmission was the General Motors Hydramatic, produced from 1939-64, which indeed had four speeds with the top gear direct, not overdrive as the later GM four speed automatics.

Interestingly, the Borg-Warner transmissions with which we Studebaker owners are familiar are considered the first modern automatic and were adapted widely by Ford and AMC and directly influenced the design of the Mopar Torqueflite and GM TH350/400.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack for "sorta" correcting that. On this Forum I am usually not thinking "Automotive wide", usually just Studebaker.
        Actually I thought the OP was expecting a 4 speed OVERDRIVE, so that is what I was referring to.

I do know about those early 4 speed Direct Hydramatics though, in 1962 I owned a Olds Super 88 with that crazy thing, you had to wait a few seconds for the Trans. to stop spinning and put it in REVERSE to get the Parking Pawl to lock for "Park", being used to Studebakers, I thought it was archaic! The Gasser and Rail Job owners thought they were great for the Drag Strip.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK. What was Chrysler talking about with their "Fluid Drive"? A torque converter?
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
            OK. What was Chrysler talking about with their "Fluid Drive"? A torque converter?
            Fluid Drive was offered from 1939 through 1953 in Chryslers, 1940 through 1953 in DeSotos, and from 1941 through 1954 in Dodge models. The fluid drive element is a hydraulic coupling in place of a flywheel. A conventional clutch and manual transmission was installed behind the fluid coupling and had to be shifted manually. It was possible to start in high gear, albiet slowly and proceed without manual shifting.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thank you, Jack. My great uncle used to brag about his. I guess it was special.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I found out from necessity that Fluid Drive would allow you to ram the transmission into reverse while rolling forward. I was approaching a stop sign in a 1950 Dodge business coupe when I realized I had no brakes. Seeing traffic on the road ahead I made the decision to put the car in reverse. It worked and stopped the car before I rolled onto the main road. The fact that I was on a gravel drive and the car could slide helped keep from tearing something up. A very tense moment.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                X