Window run felt strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Window run felt strip

The felt stips that keeps the door glass secure is called felt strip. I bought some new one but now I don't see how these are to be secured to the door! Are there some special clips that arte missing?

Any ideas on how these were done originally?

Leroy

Felt strips? Cat whiskers? Window channel? Year and/or model it is applied to can make a difference.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Window channel

Originally posted by Leroy Cook View Post
      The felt stips that keeps the door glass secure is called felt strip. I bought some new one but now I don't see how these are to be secured to the door! Are there some special clips that arte missing?

Any ideas on how these were done originally?

Leroy
      I bought all of the stuff I needed for my 1950 Champion at a local Auto Glass shop. The felt that holds the window is in a "U" shaped flexible track that is clued to the frame of the door. Cat's whiskers use clips that are available from SI. All of the glass, which was flat, except the rear window also came from the same shop. They also replaced the mirror glass, inside and out.

Comment

Please excuse me! Thiese 'cat whiskers' are for a 1962 Hawk! I guess they are not all the same.

Comment

cats whiskers installation

Originally posted by Leroy Cook View Post
          Please excuse me! Thiese 'cat whiskers' are for a 1962 Hawk! I guess they are not all the same.
          everyone on the forum may not agree but I found the best way to install these cats whisker is by using 3m double stick tape
          the clips for this installation I found to rub against the glass. did anyone else try this?

Comment

Installed the window sill felt strips with the u-clips on a Champ with success. Have not tried the double stick tape on the strips but after reading this will be trying it on the u-channels that insert into the window frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 53 stude mod View Post
              everyone on the forum may not agree but I found the best way to install these cats whisker is by using 3m double stick tape
              the clips for this installation I found to rub against the glass. did anyone else try this?
              I used the clips and it is difficult to align properly but it can be done. I have my '66 Cruiser to do and I have bought cats whiskers from SI plus the clips, however if I have to struggle too much I will be using 3M double sided stick tape. It makes for a neater job.
              For my Oldsmobile I purchased cat's whiskers with sticky backing however it would not do for my Studes.
              Good luck.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The clips, when installed at the factory, were no doubt a piece of cake. I've had enough trouble with both types that I've resorted to simply riveting the cat whiskers in place and peening the heads so they won't scratch the glass. A touch of flat black paint assures the rivets are not visible to scrutiny. When the channel is installed in the doors, if the metal is clean and dry, a bead of liquid nails, along with the clips at each end, which are still available, will suffice.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

How are you supposed to install the cat's whiskers? Are you supposed to put the clips in place and then just press the whiskers against the clips, or do you install the clip on the whisker and then press it into the door? Either way the clips don't hold very well--are you supposed to use some trim adhesive to secure the clip to the whisker?

I keep trying it different ways and the whisker still tends to come loose.
                  ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

Jay,
                    My point exactly! Whatever the assembly line mass production trick employed, it is lost to the common restorer. Unless they have mastered it, and get paid the big bucks to employ it. Rivets work for me.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

How are you supposed to install the cat's whiskers?

On my '53 and '55 cars the clips are secured to the strips by squeezing them with pliers. Other years may be different.

You have to have the clips aligned with the holes in the window frame, place them in place with the window lower in its channel, snap the clips through the holes in the frame and wind up the window.

Comment

This process is not nearly as hard as everyone is making it out to be. Cut and form end of replacement strip if required, and lay next to the old strip. Using the clips or remaining mark thereof as a guide, locate the position of the clips on the replacement strip. Fasten the clips tightly by squeezing the toothed area with pliers (for the type of clip used on round holes) or pierce and fold over the tabs on the clips used with slotted holes. These fasteners are readily available from any Studebaker parts vendor. Then, snap the assembled strip into the door - a wide bladed screwdriver is a handy tool for this.

Comment

Years ago, when I did this on my 52 Champion, I used small pop rivets. I don't know if all of the cars allow room for this, but it worked on mine. If I had the correct clips I would probably try them.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X