Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembrances of the HUGE 1970's SDC joint Northern/Southern Calif. meets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembrances of the HUGE 1970's SDC joint Northern/Southern Calif. meets.

Remembrances of the HUGE 1970's SDC joint Northern/Southern Calif. meets.

Here is a Pic of the Awards Banquet at the Madonna Inn, San Louis Obispo, CA showing I believe Ray and Kitty McLaughlin in the back row, the 3rd. and 4th From the Left.

Seated at the next nearer Table is my Wife Sharon in the Green Dress, Me to Her Left, and the Guy next to me blocking Kitty McLaughlin's face is Tom Mcginnis from Solvang, CA.

The organizer of these Meets, Paul Gunder is seated under the right section of White Window panes.

This Post was prompted by this recent Post by Ray McLaughlin's Nephew:

And these Posts:
    This was my 28 sedan. It was built by my Uncle Ray McLaughlin. He was president of the La Palma in CA chapter for many years. He also had a 28 roadster that is now in the good hands of a gentleman in Arizona.
    You can see a pic of it here and read a little from a photo shoot we did for a magazine.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1928-studebaker.htm
    The roadster was scheduled to be in the shoot, but the muffler collapsed on the way and she couldn't be there. It took us a while to figure why it would start and then not stay running.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Welcome Brian, there are several of us here that knew Ray very well, he Chuck Potter, Paul Gunder, Alex Magdaleno and myself hung out together a lot. As nearby Los Angeles Chapter Members, we organized the Orange Empire Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club that you remember for the La Palma meet that still is still running on the Memorial Day Weekend every year.

I still have Pictures of Ray, Kitty and their Green '29 ('28?) President Four Seasons Roadster at the Joint Northern/Southern Calif. Meets we had in Solvang and San Luis Obispo in the Early 1970's.

Do we still have any Members left on the Forum besides myself, Alex & Alma Magdaleno and maybe Jack Weber and Wife that remember going to these HUGE events?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Madonna Inn1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1748348 Chuck Potter is standing in back with Kitty Mclaughlin to the Left of him in a Blue Dress. Paul Gunder is pointing at something talking to Chuck.

Name:	Madonna Inn5.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1748349 Here is Paul Gunder's famous '64 Burgundy (Avanti Maroon) with custom Black Roof, a Tilt steering Column and a 45 RPM Record Changer/Player that he purchased from the Original Owner in Texas.

Name:	Madonna Inn4.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1748350 This is Alex & Alma Magdaleno's Teal Green Metallic '54 Commander Starliner Hardtop with New, crate 300 H.P. Corvette 327, 4 Speed and A/C.

Name:	Madonna Inn6.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1748351 I believe this Yellow Avanti is Turning Wheels Co-Operator Advisor John Metzker's now beautifully restored Maroon '64 Avanti, now sporting square Headlights.

Name:	Madonna Inn7.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1748360
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-15-2015, 04:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

I was too young, but my Dad and Sister went to the meet at San Luis Obispo in the early 70s. Later in the 70's I went with Dad down to one of the La Palma meets. So yes, I do remember!
    George

Comment

Rich, During those years I was a member of the AOAI and not of the SDC. I vaguely remember San Louie O. Will have to dig out my pics. of meets back in the 70's. When I did join the SDC it was the Orange Empire chapter and they were meeting at Fudruckers in Buena Park. During the 70's I hung around with Lional Stone, Vergil Rice and Bob Patton. So if I was at any of those meets the were joint meets. How about some dates? So I can see if they jive.

Comment

Alan; Alex told me the Movie Film he transferred these Pics and a Super 8mm Movie to Disc. from, was made by himself, later owned by Paul Gunder and was from 1969, I suppose Summertime.

The movie showed my Avanti Red '63 Daytona Wagonaire and the Woodsmoke Gray & White '57 Parkview 2 Door Wagon on the Show Grounds that I bought in 1962.

Many Cars at the Meet are on the Video driving around & parked, including Ray & Kitty's '28 Pres. Roadster.
        The '57 wagon was owned and restored by Chuck Potter at the time, but is now owned by my Son Dave.
        Unfortunately, I can't view the Video at this time as it is in some format called "MPG" that my Windows Media Player does not like, and I know nothing about Videos.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Neat photos, Rich. If only we could time travel....
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Rich, Bought my Avanti in the summer of 69, it had been in an accident. Nov. 69, Old shovel nose called and didn't get back to the states till Dec 72.

Comment

I think I posted this at a Bad time, a lot of Folks that would remember this are on the Road to the International Meet, maybe not so much from the "Good" Coast though.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was there in at the meet in 1970 in San Luis Obispo. Drove a Riviera Blue '61 Hawk with a 4 speed. I still have some photographs from that event. My youngest daughter was just a few months old but traveled well.

Comment

I never had the pleasure of attending, but in a '70s issue of the Avanti Owners magazine there is a photo of my Barris custom Avanti and the original owner at the St Luis Obispo meeting.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I don't understand why mini-skirts went out of fashion!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I don't understand why mini-skirts went out of fashion!
                      I saw a young woman yesterday in McDonald's that was wearing a short sun suite.
                      She shouldn't have been though, unless you prefer them SUPER sized.

Comment

Yeah Ed, you noticed too, at least we know you are alive!
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I did attend a Solvang show, prior to 1975, where Paul Gunder and Ed Murray showed their custom Avanti,along with many other nice cars. I was was driving a brand x at the time, as I had retired my Avanti to storage in 1970 with 30,000 miles on the odometer. I started attending La Palma in 1977, with a fresh paint job and mechanical rebuild.

Bob Caser
                          mrbobinc

Comment

Rich, do you happen to have any more digitized old photos of these old gatherings at the Madonna Inn? Maria and I drove the 56J up to the Central Coast several times. Just checked the little adhesive dash plaques, we were at the Madonna Inn in at least '71 and '72. We missed '73, as were en route to Sheppard AFB TX. Returned for a Solvang meet in '76, after I was released from active duty. Great memories of Chuck Potter, of Ray and Kitty and many others. Paul Gunder had recruited me to the cause while I was having my black 57 GH serviced at Frost & French in the late sixties. We remained in close touch with Paul and Helene even after their move back to the midwest.

During one of the Madonna Inn gatherings, a photographer (Rick Lenz) engaged by Automobile Quarterly arranged a photo session with the 56J along the coast at Shell Beach. Rick came back to us for a couple more assignments years later, including shots of the Caribbean one foggy morning on the tarmac of our local airport. Hard to see, but Packard styling chief Dick Teague signed the lower corner of the page for us.

Without question the most friendly and welcoming people in our years in the hobby.

Sorry for this very belated comment on a very special topic. I wasn't paying attention.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by riversidevw; 06-07-2017, 03:15 PM.
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Sorry Gil all of my Photos from the 1970's of course are 35mm Film Negs. and Photo Prints that would take a while or never to locate.
                              I may have some old 35mm Slides I can find that could be converted also.

It was Alex who had quite a few stills and movie Film converted to digital.

Here are 2 of Alex's Posts:

I could not find any views of a Two Tone Green 56J though.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X