Clear All

• 42 year old barn find

Hi everyone. Im new to this site.
    Just bought a 1953 studebaker commander 2 door ht starliner
    It was parked in a shed in 1973.
    I will have a lot of questions in the furture

leroy
    Attached Files

Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on finding one of the most desirable and iconic Studes ever made.

Feel free to post any questions and ask about parts.. I've already collected a few "extras" for my car and would be happy to help out if I can. And be sure to post a lot of pictures as you go along!

What are your plans for the car? Stock rebuild or hot rod?

I bought mine just a couple of months ago..

Comment

That is a 62 year old barn find. Nice catch. Welcome to the Forum and feel free to ask questions. Many of the folks here are extremely knowledgeable and will be happy to help you along. You might check out the Studebaker Driver's Club website for more information, stories and resources. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Welcome to our world! Did they throw in that bicycle with the deal? Not knowing your restoration experience credentials, at this point, it would be difficult to offer much specific comments. From what I see, there is some pretty serious sodium chloride exposure in all the usual places. Nothing that can't be corrected. However, If you can get into the car without detaching the "A" pillar from the floor and its support...you will be way ahead of the game for being able to maintain structural dimensions/integrity during restoration. That way, you can temporarily weld some bracing across to keep the body from flexing and warping.

Until the fenders are unbolted, exposing the adjoining A pillar surface, you won't be able to tell how much is there to work with. Don't know how much you know about Studebakers, or our organization/resources...but if you are new to this brand...take your time, do some research. This car, is one of the "desirable" models that make long-shot restoration efforts worth the risk. This one looks to be waaaay ahead of the "long-shot" examples.

When you get a chance, post some more pictures...we love pictures!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wow! That looks like a true gold nugget. Good job!

In 1973, I bought a '53 coupe that had been sitting outside since 1967 for $100. It was a 6 cyl, 6V, automatic rust bucket that wouldn't pull a greasy string. I had it bondoed, re-painted, the engine rebuilt, but the entire interior was always trashed due to water incursion. And back then I couldn't find any replacement interior parts. I unloaded it on a friend in 1981 for $350.

Originally posted by spike1 View Post
          Hi everyone. Im new to this site.
          Just bought a 1953 studebaker commander 2 door ht starliner
          It was parked in a shed in 1973.
          I will have a lot of questions in the furture

leroy
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Wow, an early one based upon that "Tri-Star" LF hubcap?

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
              Wow! That looks like a true gold nugget. Good job!

In 1973, I bought a '53 coupe that had been sitting outside since 1967 for $100. It was a 6 cyl, 6V, automatic rust bucket that wouldn't pull a greasy string. I had it bondoed, re-painted, the engine rebuilt, but the entire interior was always trashed due to water incursion. And back then I couldn't find any replacement interior parts. I unloaded it on a friend in 1981 for $350.
              THAT.... Was in 1973,
              NOW.....There are plentiful resources, patch panels, complete panels, parts, information, anything needed to bring the car back.
              On the link "Commander Eddie" posted, Go to "Studebaker Vendors" and glory in the amazing amount of parts and information available to you.
              Go to "Resources" to "Tech tips, specs and data" then to "Things to do after you bought that Studebaker". Great information.
              DO NOT let those grill surounds out of your hands, VERY scarce and valuable.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                Wow, an early one based upon that "Tri-Star" LF hubcap?
                It can't be "early" if it is a Spring Special, as the colors would indicate.

Of course, the Serial Number will tell when and where it was built.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome!! One of my favorite Studebakers you have there. Thanks for "THE" picture. You did a good job of posting. Sooo, Please give us a lot of pictures soon. Good luck on your project.

Comment

Soap box derby car in the corner?
                    Congrats on your purchase.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Welcome Leroy, nice find - I'm sure We all agree how great it is when yet another Studebaker comes to light of Day
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Wow, you sure know how to pick them. What a lucky find.
                        If I ever get room for another car I'd like it to be a 53 and the white 53 Champion in the Studebaker National Museum is my dream car.

Comment

This car, when restored, will be possibly the most desirable Stude ever made and in my favorite color combo for 53-4's.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on what can truly be described as an historic moment. What a gorgeous find!

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Some guys start at the top...and with a 1953 Commander Starliner, don't take another step up the ladder or you'll fall off!

Congratulations. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X