Which truck box floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which truck box floor

I'm restoring a 55 E5 truck and pondered which box floor I wanted. In my case, I'm not interesting in making everything exactly stock so I considered metal or wood floors. Face it, wood looks really nice although it requires more maintenance. For me, the decision boiled down to cost. Classic Enterprises has a nice metal floor. I also needed the two middle cross members. The cost for all that with shipping would be $782.50. I then checked with Horkey in Minnesota. A complete oak floor with metal strips, fasteners and the two cross members with shipping came to $723.53, which is $58.97 less. I bought the Horkey floor. The quality is great and I look forward to finishing the box. Incidentally, the Horkey floor price includes a rear trim panel which covers the ends of the oak boards.
    I wanted to share this information should anyone be considering such a decision.

Your wallet, your truck, but for $58.00, I would choose the most durable one, certainly NOT Wood, that is one of the big pluses owning a Studebaker truck, now Gone.

Are the cross members from a Non-Studebaker Guy going to actually FIT?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine has a 1/2" CDX plywood floor. $15.oo at the local Lumber Yard.
      Attached Files
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Gentlemen, I'm only comparing the price for those two options, nothing more. As for me, my truck will NEVER do any heavy hauling so I want the show floor. Your wants and needs may be different.

Comment

How is the beaver and termite situation in Minnesota?

Comment

Beavers are prospering. Termites are non-existent. This is great place to live. Last night I caught a 28 inch northern pike in the lake behind my house. Good eatin!

Comment

for a "non-working" show truck, the bed should look great!

pics would be appreciated by many for the install and finished product.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hi Corvanti. I will definitely post pictures of the truck once it is finished. I appreciate your comment!

Comment

Bill, have You considered making Your own wood floor? what about using pressure treated deck wood,size it to fit the widths You need.maybe you can make your own cross braces,do you have a steel yard near You.then just order the metal strips that go between the wood flooring.
                  Originally posted by truckguy View Post
                  Gentlemen, I'm only comparing the price for those two options, nothing more. As for me, my truck will NEVER do any heavy hauling so I want the show floor. Your wants and needs may be different.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Hello 63t-cab. I appreciate your comment. I did consider making my own floor and I do have a router to do it. In the end, I elected to buy a prepared floor. No doubt it cost me more, but by buying the floor from Horkey, I know everything is properly set up and ready for installation.

Comment

Truckguy The finished wood floors always look nice just keep it out of the rain and either use a blanket or gently set the case of beer in there when need be.

Comment

Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                          Truckguy The finished wood floors always look nice just keep it out of the rain and either use a blanket or gently set the case of beer in there when need be.
                          ...or a waterproof varnish.

seems to be a good thread to share a pic of my "Studebaker Adult Beverage Cooler".

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1066.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1699813
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Truckguy... you gotta put plastic down before you fill it with fresh caught fish!

Comment

When we restored my Daughter's '57, the steel floor was pretty well gone & time and cash was in short supply (isn't it always?). We put in a floor we made from vinyl decking purchased at a local lumber yard, it is fastened down with stainless screws. The outer two had to be ripped to width & the edges routed to match the shape of the full boards. This deck has been in here for probably 12 years.... but the truck is kept indoors.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9013.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1699816 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9014.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1699817

Comment

Working...
                              X