Ready for a road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for a road trip

I think I'm ready. St. Louis and back on Route 66. About 5000 miles. The maiden voyage in my retirement goal of driving the Studebaker to 49 states. Should get 12 or 13 states in this trip.

Brakes - Check
    Tires, including air pressure - Check
    Front end alignment - Check
    Engine oil - clean and full - check
    Trans fluid - check
    coolant - check
    Air Conditioning - check
    Windshield wipers (rain Xed the windshild) - check
    Spare tire - check
    Tire change tools and jack - check
    emergency tool kit - check
    Safety kit - check
    Road atlas - check
    AAA membership paid up - check
    battery - clean terminals, fully charged, battery hold down secure - check
    on prayer list at church - check

I still have a little time. Anybody think of something I may have forgotten?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAMDisplay.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1748331
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Sounds like you're ready to go, John, although I would add a new distributor cap, rotor, points, and condenser, assuming you still have conventional ignition. They don't cost much and don't take up much room and can be easily changed along the side of the road if there is a failure.

Some people take an entire replacement generator and water pump, but I realize they are a little heavy and cumbersome. But do take a replacement fan belt; again, cheap, easily replaced, and doesn't take up much room. I'd have at least two gallons of ordinary water, too.

'Looking forward to seeing you in St. Looey. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Rock n' roll Jon!!

Dinner on me when you make your way to Florida.

Comment

Not stock under the hood, for those that didn't know... I'm bringing a case of drinking water, so I'm good there, and I do have a spare surpentine belt.

Florida may be a few years away. That'll give you time to save up Matt. I like to eat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	march 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1699801
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Comment

Well...if you have the capability (gadgets), you might want to upgrade the "Road Atlas" with a GPS! Oh...and don't forget my plea in this post

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-ride-with-you!

Have a safe journey...looking forward to the adventure report!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey, if it was good enough for Studebaker in 65 and 66, it's good enough for me. And yes, AAA was already on my checklist.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Camera? (Why does this antiquated software require 10 characters in a response?).

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Well...if you have the capability (gadgets), you might want to upgrade the "Road Atlas" with a GPS!
                  That's funny. I did buy a GPS but never figured out how to use it and quite frankly, it scares me a little bit. I bought a new atlas because I can figure that one out. Old people... what can I say.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, 49 states?...be creative, you're a smart guy...there must be way to drive it in Hawaii too!
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                      Camera?
                      Sorry, I left that one off my list. If you read my 2013 IDYSD story in Turning Wheels, You will know that I got rid of my flip phone and got one with a good camera after forgetting to bring one on that day. So, as long as I don't forget my phone (and that is possible) I will have a camera with me.

Thanks though, that's a great item for the list.
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                        Jon, 49 states?...be creative, you're a smart guy...there must be way to drive it in Hawaii too!
                        I can drive it IN Hawaii but I need to drive it TO Hawaii. I'm just gonna have to wait for the bridge.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

John, as you know, the one thing you will need will be the one thing you forgot.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You might be waiting awhile for the bridge! Driving a Stude to 49 states is a great retirement goal. I did the Great American Tour this summer covering Rte 66 to CA and went back to IL by way of UT, CO, NE, and IA. Along with last year's trip to Dover and a trip to the MN Zone meet this summer, I've got 20 crossed off the list in my 76 Avanti II.
                            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Jon, one investment that could be worthwhile is an ODBII code reader. You may not know what to do with a code you get, but at least you will know what it is and can call your mechanic to consult. I always carry a quart of oil and tranny fluid just in case, a can of "fix-a-flat", jumper cables, fuses and a flashlight. Also some gloves and shop rags, unless you want to get your polishing rags greasy. I brought my own small wash bucket, soap and drying towel.

And I would bring that GPS along, Carlene can play with it as you travel along and learn how to use it. They are great for finding restaurants, gas stations, distances to the next stop, knowing your actual speed etc. If you already have one, might as well learn to use it if your goal is 49 states.

Have fun, and if something goes less well than hoped, don't panic just keep plugging away.

Pat
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X