HD truck clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: HD truck clutch

I am using the clutch, bell housing and 4 speed transmission off of a 1964 truck V8, there is a 10 1/2 and a 11" clutch listed. I measured the clutch from this engine and it is 12".
    Am I looking at the catalog wrong?
    Thanks

They had 12 inch clutches, I think I have a used one in my stack of clutches. I am not sure what they used in 64 but just because you removed it from a 64 does not mean it was original to a 64.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks Milt, would you know the part numbers for the disc and cover?
      Thanks

Comment

The 11 Inch is as big as the H.D. Truck Clutches get per the Parts Catalog unless you have a Diesel.

But THAT does not mean they did not install some 12 Inch ones, my 7E13 1 Ton Dually had one ordered (on P.O.) and installed, so I know they just called Borg & Beck and ordered a Dodge or Ford clutch and custom built some Trucks when ORDERED by the buyer.
        So that means there IS No Part Number, you need to take it to a Clutch Rebuilder it get the RIGHT stuff, no "mail order" New Parts from a Parts Store will do.

Here you go: 2930 6th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98134
        (206) 622-5655
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-10-2015, 09:37 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

you haven't mentioned the size truck ? If a Champ, with few trailering/hauling duties.....go with the 11 or 10.5 incher. Your clutch linkage and left leg will thank you. Now's a good time to check the linkage.....GL

Comment

All '63 & '64 Champ Trucks have the "not so good" suspended Pedals that not only have Poor Leverage but also are very weak, so unless this is a "C" Cab Truck, a Heavy Clutch is usually not a good thing as Jack said.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Use a diaphragm pressure plate. Will fit in a truck bell housing. Less pedal pressure.

Comment

I have a diaphragm clutch for 11 inch set up. Don't need it. Installed in my Champ truck and didn't like the "feel" of it. I don't think I depressed it 20 times....$30. + shipping....

Comment

Unless you are planning on using it regularly to haul gravel or something like that, I'd suggest a standard 289 clutch and PP. Installing a HD clutch in the truck will discourage you from driving it, and cause endless problems with the linkage, from end to end.

Comment

Working...
                  X