Production dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production dates

This past year we purchased two Studebakers both minus keys, I felt it was well worth getting the production order sheets just for the key info with the other information being a bonus.
    I found it interesting that the Commander order was written on 10/18/56 and the Silver Hawk on 10/19/56. The final assembly dates are 10/23/56 for the Commander and 11/8/56 for the Silver Hawk.
    The Silver Hawk production sheet lists under Description of Unit and Equipment an accessory number SP50060PR, can someone tell me what that designates.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Seat belts.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you, I was sitting in the car trying to decide if I would want to wear them or not, being fastened to the door makes me wonder.
      Jay

Comment

I guess I would check my Door Strikers and Door Latches and Pray that the Doors stay closed in the event of an accident.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So did the key codes work?
          We often hear negative comments on those door-mounted seat belts, but some GM cars had them in the front doors in the 1990s, maybe even later. The only advantage the GM cars had was the interlock that is supposed to keep the door from coming open. The body has to distort before they work of course.

Lap belts are better than nothing, but lap and shoulder are far better. Well worth the effort to install.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
            Thank you, I was sitting in the car trying to decide if I would want to wear them or not, being fastened to the door makes me wonder.
            Jay
            NO! REPLACE THEM! In this case, originality, or fretting over a point or two at a meet is not worth the risk.

If the door comes open upon impact, you will wind up on the ground, and the car, likely as not, will run over you.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              We often hear negative comments on those door-mounted seat belts, but some GM cars had them in the front doors in the 1990s, maybe even later. The only advantage the GM cars had was the interlock that is supposed to keep the door from coming open. The body has to distort before they work of course.

Lap belts are better than nothing, but lap and shoulder are far better. Well worth the effort to install.
              The interlock that was supposed to keep the door from opening often did not. I just spent some time trying to find a picture of a police car crash of that vintage, but can't find it. The patrol car hit a utility pole, the door came open, that the officer was ejected, and pinned between the pole and the car. The picture really demonstrated the problem, because you could clearly see how there was no way the belt would keep an occupant in the car.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
              X