Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 MONGREL HAWK. Is it worthy of $7K-$10K investvemt ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 MONGREL HAWK. Is it worthy of $7K-$10K investvemt ?????

Is this 1960 Hawk mongrel worth the effort and money to rebuild? I figured it would be $7K-$9K in exspense here in east Tx. I haven't messed with anything like this. It is not a flood car, it probably has been wrecked in it's life. Or should I save and buy a more original Hawk? I could really do wonders for this mongrel. The leather hides are laying in the shop for interior, my mechanic is very keen on the motor. I need to hear your thoughts.Click image for larger version

Name:	00909_fAmTr1w3QSG_600x450[1].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1748310Click image for larger version

Name:	00b0b_bIwGnGmSSV6_600x450[1].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1748311
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Lowest trim level offered by Studebaker. Fins gone. What are your intentions? If it drives and stops it could be fun and about a $3000 car. Otherwise, it'll cost $30,000 to make a $20,000 driver.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The advantage of building it yourself is you get what you want to drive and don't have to be concerned with the details of an accurate restoration.

You want leather interior? Love it! Your mechanic wants to build you an R1+? Go for it. Front disc brakes, some real knockoff wire wheels, decent paint and it would be a fun car for not too much money.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

The one thing we haven't seen is the serial # on the drivers door post (A pillar). That would go a long way to knowing the origin of the car and does have an effect on frame gauge etc. If it matches the title then the purchase would be straight forward, if no plate or no match, it increases the degree of difficulty in getting a clear title potentially. Nothing wrong with a set of different parts as long as it doesn't create a long term titling/insurance problem.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

What part is 60 on this Hawk? 62 front end and back doesn't look to be Hawk, certainly not a finned 60 Hawk.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
            What part is 60 on this Hawk? 62 front end and back doesn't look to be Hawk, certainly not a finned 60 Hawk.
            It probably IS though, see this:
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is if YOU think it is.Building a vehicle based on what others think will get you nowhere.
              If you like it then do it.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                It is if YOU think it is.Building a vehicle based on what others think will get you nowhere.
                If you like it then do it.
                I concur. You seem to be torn on this find. Frankly, if you dig it then that's all that matters. With work it'll probably garner as much interest in a meet as a perfect restoration, maybe more! Make it the way you feel it should be. You be the judge!

Comment

Working...
                X