No announcement yet.

1940 Commander Camshaft gear????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1940 Commander Camshaft gear????

Can someone educate me on the material these were made of and a good puller to get them off, threads pulled right out with my camshaft gear puller.....thanks!!!

I may be inserting myself (again) into a subject I'm certainly not expert in. But, it's Friday night, lots of "experts" are probably out treating their wives to "Friday night out." Since my wife don't feel well enough to go out, I "fixed" supper. (Actually made a run for "take out.") Therefore, I'm gonna take a stab at this. I'm thinking these old "fiber" gears are a composite of compressed materials bound together in a form of phenolic resin. I've had a couple to grenade on me that seemed to have become rather brittle due to age, and perhaps degrading from overheating before I acquired them. Who really knows, but it has always been a very inconvenient surprise for me. If, as in your situation, the threaded holes stripped, you might have to resort to a hub puller or result to a bearing separator. It can be done with the right tools and a deft hand with a touch of finesse. I managed to replace mine, but it has been so long ago, that I no longer remember the agonizing details. (One of the kindnesses of age)

It is amazing how tough these gears can seem to be when new, and how fragile when they fail. Hopefully, when the experts log back on...you'll get better help.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The trade name is Celeron.

To me it looks like a cross between early fiberglass and synthetic uses of wood fiber and resin. Remember, this is 1930's industrial/chemical technology. They were making all sorts of things from wood derivatives before oil became the basic building block for synthetics.

Unfortunately, some sitxy years later, Intel used that same name for a microprocessor, so every hit on an Internet search for Celeron talks about Intel.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
      X