engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

I have a 54 Champion sedan that had a perfect running 6 but I needed a challenge, I pulled the 6 and inserted in its place a 259 Lark V8. The front motor mounts are the same, but I decided to move the engine back one inch to allow more clearance for the fan. I mocked up plywood mounts to fit then made them out of metal. With the engine set back one inch, allowed the bolts on the rear mount to sit on center on the batwing where I had to drill two holes to fit. I converted the 12 volt system to 6 volts and it starts very easily, usually 2 - 3 revs.
    The starter motor was a challenge I had to order a generic drive from a jobber that lists the drives by specs, not make and model. I used a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt snout with the generic drive. I had to machine the armature shaft to fit the drive. I have to make a second starter for a spare. I bought three 259s to get enough parts. The first one was missing the bell housing, the second one had the bell housing, but no transmission, the third one was complete with transmission (late T86 w/OD). The 2 piece drive shaft was replaced with the single shaft out of the Lark. The rear universal fit but the shaft had to be lengthened 4.5 inches. I have only static tested so far. I have an issue with heat riser, it won't open, it is completely free when moved by hand. Perhaps the spring is too tight. David

Now that's what I call "Old Time Fabricating"!....Good for you!

Comment

David, is it possible You have the heat riser installed upside down
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

We gotta have pictures --- PLEASE

Comment

I think this is the first time I have heard of someone swapping an engine and converting it to 6 volts. I can see why it might be easier in some respects.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            I think this is the first time I have heard of someone swapping an engine and converting it to 6 volts. I can see why it might be easier in some respects.
            I did the same thing on my '54 sedan. All the 6 volt items worked fine, so the only item needed was the 6 volt V8 starter. Even reused the original 6-cylinder generator.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

and it
              Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              David, is it possible You have the heat riser installed upside down
              I am going to take it off and have a look. I am opposed to wiring it open, I would like to have it working as intended. I bench tested it before I installed it by warming the spring with a propane torch and it opened and closed.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                I did the same thing on my '54 sedan. All the 6 volt items worked fine, so the only item needed was the 6 volt V8 starter. Even reused the original 6-cylinder generator.
                Yes I used the 6 generator, I also had to change the condenser. When I first installed the distributor it would not fire so I replaced the condenser with a confirmed 6 volt unit and it fired immediately.

Comment

Your 1 piece driveshaft is in danger of rubbing the trans tunnel (which was sized for a 2 piece driveshaft).
                  Keep your engine mounts and trans mount thin to keep the engine low to keep the rubbing to a minimum.

Sounds like a fun project!
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I don't think a V8 was ever available in a Champion but the fire wall is recessed to accommodate the V8 distributor and the gear shift linkage fits with no modifications. The four barrel manifold does not have a mounting bracket for the coil however there was a spare hole in the fire wall for a screw to mount the coil. I used a Ford Mustang coil bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      I don't think a V8 was ever available in a Champion but the fire wall is recessed to accommodate the V8 distributor and the gear shift linkage fits with no modifications. The four barrel manifold does not have a mounting bracket for the coil however there was a spare hole in the fire wall for a screw to mount the coil. I used a Ford Mustang coil bracket.
                      The V-8 was not available in a Champion, but the body is the same just like on the 51-52 cars. The firewalls were made the same.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

You sure did that Starter conversion the hard way, I would have just changed out the 12 Volt fine tooth Ring gear on the Flywheel for a 6 Volt course tooth one... Done!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X