'48 Commander convertible listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Commander convertible listing

Not mine, though if it were a 1950 it might be on its way to be.

"This car was driven up to 1958 then parked in a garage until I purchased it. It has a new battery. The engine runs great. Needs a new clutch and brakes to be drivable. Only has 75,000 miles on the car. Asking $7,200"

You may want to consider the much improved and easier to find Parts of the Suspension and Steering of the '51, before dumping a lot into a '50 if you are into Bulletnose Convertibles.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-05-2015, 02:14 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The '51 just doesn't have the extreme nonconformist flair of the '50, to my way of thinking, with its more extreme bullet nose and chrome bezel. Almost as much, sure, especially to most people's eyes, and there was a time when I thought a '51 would do me just as well, or better if I could find a Commander with its 232 V-8 (though I didn't realize then how rare and expensive the Commander convertibles are). But I've come to terms with myself, and I'd rather get a '50 and if the suspension and steering bothered me that much I'd just modify it.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      You may want to consider the much improved and easier to find Parts of the Suspension and Steering of the '51, before dumping a lot into a '50 if you are into Bulletnose Convertibles.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the '50 suspension, & I have parts as do other vendors.
        The nimble '51 H will run circles around the heavy, under-powered '50 Commander, but the '50 has the elegant style & class while the '51 is merely a stubby Champion w/V8 power.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
          There is nothing wrong with the '50 suspension, & I have parts as do other vendors.
          The nimble '51 H will run circles around the heavy, under-powered '50 Commander, but the '50 has the elegant style & class while the '51 is merely a stubby Champion w/V8 power.
          First time I have heard "stubby Champion w/V8 power" and I never thought of it that way but it is true and it made me chuckle. When I first parked my 47 champ and 50 commander side by side I was kind of surprised how much longer the 50 commander is. It is amazing how that extra length adds that much more style.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Another good exercise in 50 to 51 comparison is to park 50 and 51 Land Cruisers side by side. Although both are longer than their lower priced siblings...the muted, shorter, less dramatic 51 front clip is very obvious. I think that to the non-Studebaker folks...a bullet nose is a bullet nose. In fact, 'cept for the coupes most are viewed as quaint oddities, and are pretty much lumped together, regardless of being a Champion, Commander, or Land Cruiser.

For those of us who have owned both, Champions and (in my case) Land Cruisers...calling the latter a "Champion with a V8" is not an association easily made.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Actually the 50 frame is much better than the flimsy 51 and later designs. It has coil spring independent front suspension with center point steering just like the 51- up BUT with better pieces. Same tie rod ends as trucks, Adjustable shocks, link type anti sway bar. And as stated earlier, it isn't a glorified Champion with a V8 stuffed in. Stude people tend to glorify the V8 and forget the fine cars that preceded it.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X