Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Studebaker Lark Wagon: Stainless steel moulding for the gutter (drip line)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1961 Studebaker Lark Wagon: Stainless steel moulding for the gutter (drip line)

Putting out my feelers - the body shop had to remove the stainless steel moulding that covered the gutter, or drip-line, on my 1961 Lark VIII Regal 4-door station wagon. Some damage was done, and I'm trying to find a replacement out there. In previous posts I was told of the difficulty in removing it, but I'm hoping that somebody out there might have a junked 4-door wagon (I assume that the mouldings were the same from 1960-1962?), some time and patience, and the proper tools, that would be willing to sell me the trim parts.

Thanks!
    Albert

Oh NO, not still another Studebaker Drip Rail Moulding ruined by a Body Shop!

This is really getting OLD, I don't see why they can't just leave well enough alone and mask them if they do not have the patience to carefully and correctly remove them.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You probably won't have much luck finding good used. Drip rail moldings are polished tin foil.

Studebaker International has a whole section in their catalog of nothing but NOS stainless trim. It'd be worth checking with them.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Oh NO, not still another Studebaker Drip Rail Moulding ruined by a Body Shop!

This is really getting OLD, I don't see why they can't just leave well enough alone and mask them if they do not have the patience to carefully and correctly remove them.
        Rich - Your reply is what I was thinking.

I stopped from inputting when I saw "...had to remove..." I would need a full explanation of that condition.

I wish the owner well. There are a lot of these sitting around in junkyards, but who will take the time to remove them for what will be a fair price to the poster?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You are right Gary, I suppose there are cases of severe rust or damage to the rails requiring removal of the Mouldings, but extreme CARE must be used.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Most body shops don't know what "care" is because they are used to picking up the phone & getting another.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

All good points - the body shop did indeed have to remove the gutter moulding...that is to say, only part of it to cure the spot that had the very bad rust. The rest was removed out of carelessness.

mbstude - I will contact Studebaker International again, but if I recall, they didn't have that moulding. I might just wait for a junked wagon to appear - a rarity - or, since it is practically "tin foil" - I might actually call around and see if I can get a friend to fabricate it. Not out of tin foil, of course, but perhaps out of a sturdier material/thin gauge stainless steel.

Thanks again everbody - and if you do perhaps see a forlorn parts car 4-door wagon, keep me in mind!

Comment

I do body work for a living at that is some bull. If you are having to take something off of something thing like that you take your time and do it right. Plenty of old cars have odd moldings that are incredibly brittle, malleable, the right tools help a lot too.

Comment

Originally posted by ajalstude View Post
                  All good points - the body shop did indeed have to remove the gutter moulding...that is to say, only part of it to cure the spot that had the very bad rust. The rest was removed out of carelessness.

mbstude - I will contact Studebaker International again, but if I recall, they didn't have that moulding. I might just wait for a junked wagon to appear - a rarity - or, since it is practically "tin foil" - I might actually call around and see if I can get a friend to fabricate it. Not out of tin foil, of course, but perhaps out of a sturdier material/thin gauge stainless steel.

Thanks again everbody - and if you do perhaps see a forlorn parts car 4-door wagon, keep me in mind!
                  I believe that Matthew (mbstude) was kidding. That trim is not tin or tin foil. It is stainless of a reasonable thickness for the application. I think that what Matthew was implying is that it is not something that can be "worked" to straighten or polish.

What sections do you need? You may not need parts from a wagon. For example, the front piece would be the same as for a sedan.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi Gary - I never noticed this last response to this thread, but I'm glad that I did. I was recently told by a member on the Studebaker/Packard parts Facebook group that the side moulds (straight sections) are the same for all 59-62 wagons, the front halves (short curved sections) are the same for 61-62 sedan & wagons, and the rear mould (long curved section) are the same for all 59-62 wagons. Glad to see that you're confirming this as well.

I pretty much need the whole moulding. Only one part was salvageable, which was the rear segment that hangs over the tailgate. I was also fortunate to save the clips that kept the four longer strips in place. I need the two side strips and the front piece as well. Do you know of anybody that might have them?

Best,
                    Albert

Many thanks,
                    Albert

Comment

Pm sent. Thanks John

Comment

Working...
                      X