Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this transmission work for my 60 Lark VIII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Does this transmission work for my 60 Lark VIII?

I'm looking to upgrade my current transmission with an OD version. A friend of mine has a T86 E1-T. Would it be a match?
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

I have no knowledge of the transmission suffixes, T86 would be correct for the V-8. Others can advise what the E1-T means. if your friend's OD transmission is a long tail transmission from a Studebaker with a splined output shaft, it should bolt in. You will still need the accoutrement: lockout cable, kickdown switch, harness, etc.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      I have no knowledge of the transmission suffixes, T86 would be correct for the V-8. Others can advise what the E1-T means. if your friend's OD transmission is a long tail transmission from a Studebaker with a splined output shaft, it should bolt in. You will still need the accoutrement: lockout cable, kickdown switch, harness, etc.
      Thanks for the info!

Comment

Anyone else out there know about the suffix and if it applies to my particular vintage/year of Studebaker?

Comment

Can you go and look at it? If it is a T86 with a long tail shaft, it should fit.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The rebuilt T86 overdrive transmission from my '61 Lark convertible is sitting on the shop floor - awaiting being re-united with the car - and the suffix on it is E-1T (cast in letters) After that is N4 - stamped in, not cast letters.

Comment

I don't think the casting numbers and letters mean too much. There is a stamped boss at the rear top of the casting with letters and numbers, they will tell you it's application and year. T86 transmissions were used on a variety of cars, Jeep, AMC, some Ford models and some industrial applications. The stamped boss is the best reference. You may have to google the Borg Warner site for more info. There are some knowledgeable members that will decipher the stamped code. David

Comment

Working...
              X