Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner to Be (1964 Challenger Wagon)

Okay Guys,

This was a topic of discussion a few weeks back. I can't seem to find the post right now and it might of been one that fell victim to the ones that went deleted/missing? I made a deal on the wagon pictured below and will hopefully be picking it up sometime soon. She is not much to look at right now, and frankly I don't care. Everyone needs a project that goes beyond the return value. Not that I am planning on blowing the life savings, but this seemed like a car that needed to be restored. We all know "rarity" means very little in the collector world when it comes to monetary value, but as far as preserving something special for future generations to see, this has to be on the top of the list.

As the months roll on, I will be looking for those who have wisdom on this line as well as people who may have parts to help get her back on the road.

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

I've got some driver quality used front and rear bumpers available. Are you attending the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet in Kelso, WA August 28th - 30th?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      I've got some driver quality used front and rear bumpers available. Are you attending the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet in Kelso, WA August 28th - 30th?
      Hello,

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I will be. I wasn't aware of it until just now. How much were you looking to get out of them? Do you have pictures.

Thank you
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

"Way cool, Brian; congratulations on the buy. A sliding-roof Challenger V8 Wagonaire with optional Luggage Carrier is a rare 1964 model for sure.

They built only 286 Challenger V8 wagons. No one knows for sure how many had sliding roofs; I'd say it was fewer than half, since so many were ordered as fleet vehicles. And only a handful of the few sliding-roof models would have also had a Luggage Carrier.

Take good care of it and have fun; kids love Wagonaires and you'll get good PR for Studebaker and the hobby by allowing them a look-see from inside:

Best. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum. That is quite a rare Wagonaire and not in bad condition, the rusted out Cowl may be the biggest challenge.
          If it rusted through on the forward side, you have to think that the bottom of the "Air Box" would be leaking into the inside.

One of the first things it will need to be safely driveable is 4 Springs, those are seriously sagged or very heavily overloaded.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2015, 08:37 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Brian
            What a great car to find! A V-8 Challenger and a sliding roof wagon to boot! It's certainly worth fixing and driving. Does your car have a glove box? Keep posting those pics as you go along. Is that an Astra White w/blue interior? Nice combo. Make sure you replace the drain hoses in the "B" pillar as well as those in the rear 1/4 panel. Run them all the way through the rocker and bottom of the 1/4 respectively. How would one know this? Good luck with the project.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, I will need them while taking this restoration on. I am knee deep in restoring my 1951 Land Cruiser and will still be mainly focusing on that. However, I hope to have this car put under a roof and protected until I have time to put into it. As I said before, this project is not something I see getting any monetary value out of. I see this as a "labor of love" to prevent the total extinction of a very rare line of 1964 Studebakers. This one has the automatic transmission, with AM radio, Deluxe Style rear view mirrors, luggage rack. I was not able to confirm if there was the presence of the rare third row seat (if it was available in 1964). It also had the hood ornament, but it looks like it was broken off.

I hope to pick up the car on the 15th and in the meantime I will be busy rounding up a truck, trailer, and "co-pilot". I will also be attempting to make room in the garage alongside the Land Cruiser. Here are a few other pictures that I have at the moment.

1947 Studebaker M-5
              1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Congratulations on your rare Wagonaire!
                Been putting a 1964-65 Wagonaire Daytona together myself.
                Mine is a bit of a FrankenStude as its put together from three different Wagonaires!
                Been fun! And check that windshield gasket! Mine leaked and rotted the cowl also. Mine was sneaky as it rotted under the right front fender where you couldn't see it!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr View Post
                  Hello,

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I will be. I wasn't aware of it until just now. How much were you looking to get out of them? Do you have pictures.

Thank you
                  You should think about attending the Zone Meet in Kelso, WA. It is the major zone event for 2015.
                  I'll PM you about the bumpers.

Comment

Working...
                  X