Grease recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Grease recommendation

Guys - Would high pressure CV joint grease be okay in a cleaned and degreased steering box - or is there something better? Thanks!

I've been using Shell Alvania #00 semi fluid grease in my steering boxes with good results. Bud

Comment

I'd think straight grease would make it steer real stiff in cold weather. Have used STP a few times, in a pinch. Best to install a modern seal on the pit arm shaft, when feasible, then you can run gear oil, per OEM specs. The above are substitutes to make do till then, AFAIC.

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
        Guys - Would high pressure CV joint grease be okay in a cleaned and degreased steering box - or is there something better? Thanks!
        It depends on the steering box, Tom. What box are you talking about; Ross or Saginaw?

(If you don' know, exactly what size wrench fits the fill plug?) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

SI sells a grease/lubricant for steering boxes. My '55 original box would not hold fluid more than 30 mins. I put a grease fitting on a replacement plug and used regular grease to grease the steering box. As far as cold weather, the car is not driven in cold weather (ice, snow and salt).
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

steering boxes are one of the most neglected parts on our cars. Your better off rebuilding the box with fresh bushings and seals then run the correct lubricant.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

As far as I know, all of us vendors sell the correct type semi-fluid lubricant for the steering box. You will want to avoid any of the newer lubricants that have additives that may not be compatible with the bushings and/or seals in your unit. Grease has a tendency to harden and seperate from the friction surfaces and will not flow into the bushings around the sector shaft. There is a small opening in the housing that allows the semi-fluid lubricant to flow (gravity) into the void between the two bushings and then into the grooves in the bushings to deliver lubricant to both sides of the shaft.
              Bo

Comment

The BIG issue here is which Year and make Steering Gear does it have?

Saginaw recirculating ball type '61-'66 Lark and Lark Type Boxes use ordinary non-EP Chassis Grease.

The recommended Fluid for Ross Boxes was 90 or 140 Wt. OIL, but they leak so badly that many now use the Semi-fluid Grease.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not to wander from the original question but how do I tell which steering box I have ?( 65 commander)

Comment

I topped up the steering gear in my 3E7 with the 600 wt. gear oil sold for Model T rear ends. No puddles on the floor yet and it seems to steer easier.

JT

Comment

I've used C/V joint grease in several Studebakers with success but you have to refill about once annually..

Comment

Originally posted by bill matwijec View Post
                        Not to wander from the original question but how do I tell which steering box I have ?( 65 commander)
                        On that particular year and model there is NO choice, they are all Saginaw recirculating ball type on all Larks and Lark Types from 1961 on to '66.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X