Serial Number on a 49 ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number on a 49 ????????

I looked up what should be the serial number series for a 49 Champion and I found the following ..... Serial Numbers: 8G Champion... G-400501 & G-839701 all the numbers seem to start with a "G".
    The serial number that's on the parts car I just bought has the G for the beginning of the serial number on the door pillar . "BUT" here lie's the question on the title it has WN beginning on a different number. The Title is from back in the 80's and the rest of the information on it matches the car model year 4 door ect.
    I'm thinking somewhere along the line the serial number had been reissued by the state "Washington" as I find "no" factory number that starts with WN. for this year and model. Anyone have any advise as I still haven't thought it over yet as to either parting it out or saving it.

If the numbers are between 441001 and 521001 it's probably the engine number. WA was one of those states that used the engine number on the title back then. I haven't seen them put a 'WN' in front of the numbers though. So it could mean the engine was changed at some time.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

AND even though the car may have been registered with the engine number,
      the engine may have been changed sometime in the past, so maybe a different number in there now.
      The only way to find the original engine number is to get the production order through the Studebaker Museum.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
      X