Avanti Mystery Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Avanti Mystery Pieces

These pieces were laying inside the car when I bought my 1963 Avanti. One of them seems to be marked "L". Can anyone tell me what they are and where they go. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti mystery pieces.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1748252

I'm pretty sure they're for around the driver and passenger windows...rubber weatherstripping glues to them and they are screwed to the post. I'm guessing the "L" is for "Left".
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

They look like part of the gutter trim.
      They screw onto the front pillar where the front quarter window closes ie between the rubber and the body and over the windscreen side trim.
      There should be 2 long pieces as well that screw to the underside of the outer roof which joint these pieces and run across the top of the door and rear quarter window. It acts like a gutter and catches the water running of the roof.
      Either way (mine or Gunlingers) look in that front post area for there placement.
      pb
      Last edited by 63r2; 08-01-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
        They look like part of the gutter trim.
        They screw onto the front pillar where the front quarter window closes ie between the rubber and the body and over the windscreen side trim.
        There should be 2 long pieces as well that screw to the underside of the outer roof which joint these pieces and run across the top of the door and rear quarter window. It acts like a gutter and catches the water running of the roof.
        Either way (mine or Gunlingers) look in that front post area for there placement.
        pb
        Thank you Gunslinger and 63r2, they are, indeed, the trim/gutter that attaches to the A pillar. These apparently are extras, since the car already has a pair on it.

Comment

The overhead and forward pieces you have were missing/not used yet on about Half of the '63 Avantis built.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To continue with Rich's thought,.....I've seen many odd pieces of Avanti rain gutter trim floating around at swap meets over the years....and I think that has to do with the Studebaker 'early Avanti' retrofit rain gutter program. Kits that were released but never actually installed on a car.

Comment

The hard part to find is the little corner pieces that join the top gutters to the "A" pillar pieces.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                The hard part to find is the little corner pieces that join the top gutters to the "A" pillar pieces.
                Oh...they're available. You just have to pay the price for them from the vendor. It's just another reason why restoring an Avanti is so expensive for a car that unfortunately doesn't give a reasonable return on the investment.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                X