No announcement yet.

need Speedomter cable with correct diameter for 57 Golden Hawk Flight-o-matic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: need Speedomter cable with correct diameter for 57 Golden Hawk Flight-o-matic

Hello together

I need your help. The existing speedometer cable has a wrong diameter now - it is too loose (with 22mm/0.86in) now - this was used with a 61 flight-o-matic with long tailshaft. Now as I am installing a 1957 Flight-o-matic Golden Hawk transmission(with short tailshaft), the existing speedo cable no longer seems to fit(because of diameter). The gear housing on the 57 Flight-o-matic transmission now seems to need one with 25mm/0.98in).Click image for larger version

Name:	20150801_140806_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1748249Click image for larger version

Name:	20150801_140838.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1748250

I saw in the catalog of Studebaker international, it shows a cable 1544768, but says "58 Sedan + Hawk with automatic transmission". It looks the same as my current cable - but I would need to know the diameter of it. There is a 7 teeth drive gear in the flight-o-matic transmission and I use a 21 teeth pinion gear (because of KP/H).

I want to make sure I am buying the right thing. Could somebody please help me in finding the right cable? It doesn't matter if it would be an original cable or a reproduction new one.

I also assume that I could reuse the 21 tooth pinion gear (there all seem to be the same, right?)

for example would this speedo cable work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-Speedom...c8ea59&vxp=mtr

But I will need to know the correct diameter, anyway.

Thank you very much in advance for advice.

Have a good weekend.

Ruedi, Switzerland
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Swiss-Goldenhawk; 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM.
    sigpic

The pre-'58 Type of Speedo Cable used on short Tail Transmissions is a completely different design, the "Bullet" on the end has no "point/taper" and does not use an "O" Ring to seal, it has a Cork Gasket under it. So yes it is smaller, size does not matter, there are only TWO.

I can't believe you are not looking in your '55-'58 Chassis Parts Catalog for all of these "Conversion" or Interchange issues on your '57/'58 GH.

A quick check shows NO, the 21 Tooth Pinion used with a 8 Tooth Drive Gear will be destroyed by the 7 tooth drive Gear.
    Your 7 tooth Type "C" 1539347 is only good up to 18 teeth and of a different design.

See the Speedometer chart in Sect. 1716, Pg. 511 & 512.

The proper Cable is NLA at S.I. unless available by Phone only because of Low quantity.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-01-2015, 04:48 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi StudeRich

Of course I read the parts catalogs - maybe I just overlooked this thing. I even bought the CD rom with all the manuals per your advice.

There is no reason to get that aggressive. My car is by proof of the Studebaker National Museum a 1957 and NOT a 1958. A previous owner had installed some parts of a 1958 Golden Hawk and had as well some parts of the car custom painted (roof/hood scoop/radiator baffle and some parts of the trunk). Most people mistaken it for a 1958 and I had to tell them that it is a 1957 GH.

That's also why I am correcting the transmission, installing grille spears, had the interior renewed with Red Vinyl, etc. It is clear for me that purists don't like this (57GH with similar color scheme as a 58GH) - but what only counts is that I like the car and nobody else has to. Even if it is only 80-90% correct and not 100%. There will always be something more I could have done - but I will leave some things to my son who will take care after the car in a distant future. But now I want to enjoy the car as much as I can.

Anyway, thank you for the information about the speedo cable and drive gear, etc. I am always using the shop manual while working on the car and don't always have the time to look through all the other catalogs...

Will have a hard time finding that NLA stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

I am not a parts book wizard, but AFAIK, no matter whether stick or FOM, there are only two different size, "bullets" (excepting 4-speed), when it comes to the bullet looking end that goes into the tranny. Put another way, they are interchangeable between FOM and standard shift trannys. The larger one is for 57 and earlier, FOM and standard, and for all trucks through 64, since trucks continued to use short tail T85/89 through 64. The large one is about as common as the smaller one, since it fits trucks too. So, what I am saying is, look for one for a Stude truck.

I am surprised to learn there are only .012" difference between the larger and smaller bullets, however. I'd have guessed more like .120".

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ruedi,...If you have welding/brazing skills, (or know someone that does), those ends (the part that slides into the tranny) can be cut off and swapped around.

I did this a few years ago when I needed to make a speedo cable made for a '55 'DG' transmission fit a '57 Flightomatic transmission. Good luck!

Comment

As for the pinion compatibility with the ring gear on the tranny, I'd try to match it before installing the tranny, since it is such a PITA to replace the ring gear once the tranny is assembled and in the car. In other words, either find an 8 tooth ring to match the 21 tooth pinion you already have, or an 18 tooth pinion to match the 7 tooth ring you already have.

Alternately, install as is, and see how long it lasts before the fiber gear is chewed up. I have ran supposedly incompatible matches forever, and never had a problem. Only thing you stand to lose is a chewed up pinion. Just beware, a 7/21 setup is gonna slow your speedo waaay down, including the odometer.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Hello Joe, Hello Ed

Thank you very much for your help and info.

@Joe, I suppose that it was necessary to use a 21 tooth pinion gear for example, because I have a metric speedometer - the car was an export car to Switzerland. So maybe therefore it has this curious combination. I will try to find an 18 tooth pinion and try that first plus a working speedometer cable that I can use (maybe one for a truck, as you mentioned). Yes it sure is going to pe a PITA to replace the gear now that the transmission is already in the car.

I will let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot.

Ruedi
              sigpic

Comment

Ruedi,
                One more thing, forget about using an OEM cork gasket behind the larger bullet and substitute with an o'ring.

Comment

Just post the part number of the speedometer cable you need.
                  Most parts vendors have their parts inventoried by part number.
                  You should also explain that you were talking about the diameter of the part that goes into the transmission and not the speedometer cable itself.
                  Diameter of the bullet (part that fits into the transmission) changed with the change of short to long tail shaft transmissions
                  Short tail shafts were used on cars until 1957 because of the two piece drive shaft.
                  One piece drive shafts were used on 1958 cars and later and used long tail shaft transmissions.
                  That was the main change between the 1957 and 1958 cars.
                  I realize that it is difficult to restore and drive Studebaker cars in Europe but do not become discouraged we are here to help.
                  Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

@ Joe Hall: Yes, I will substitute it with an o'ring .

@ Bob Kapteyn: Yes that's true. As most parts we have to search in the US. And there is not much knowledge about Studebakers in Switzerland. So the forum is for sure a big help.

I just found that the old 21 tooth pinion gear was used together with a 6 tooth drive gear before I tore down the old transmission - that was my old setup with long tail shaft. So that wasn't correct either - but it worked.

So, now with the 57 transmission flightomatic short tail, I can use up to 18 teeth - that's clear. And the speedometer cable should have part number 526369 (illustration number 1716-20 in the chassis parts catalog), with a length of 62". My old speedo cable also was 62" - so the length is clear.

So I will be needing a 18 tooth pinion gear and the speedo cable number 526369.

By the way, in the 57 flightomatic transmission is now a 6 teeth drive gear, Type C, it looks metallic and without any color to me. I counted the teeth and came to 6. (sounds like part number 6450308). According to the book it is possible to go up to 18 teeth pinion gear with that. But if it doens't work - I would also give more teeth a try.

Thank you

Ruedi
                    sigpic

Comment

Hello together,

So, everything is back together and I've been on the road again since last weekend.

Only noticed some vibrations coming from the driveshaft - will probably take driveshaft down next winter and have it balanced and put in new joints.

Otherwise the car drives nice and has a bit more power (especially noticing that with higher RPMs) since the engine rebuild.

Here are some photos.

Have a good weeekend.

Rudy

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01629.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1699954Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01650.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1699955Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01593.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1699956Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01600.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1699957Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02083.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1699958Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01665.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1699959Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01675.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1699960
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
                        Hello together,

So, everything is back together and I've been on the road again since last weekend.

Only noticed some vibrations coming from the driveshaft - will probably take driveshaft down next winter and have it balanced and put in new joints.

Otherwise the car drives nice and has a bit more power (especially noticing that with higher RPMs) since the engine rebuild.

Here are some photos.

Have a good weeekend.

Rudy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46744[/ATTACH]

Nice job Rudy!...Everytime I see a photo of a beautiful Golden Hawk like yours I long to own one again!

Comment

Hello Ed. Thank you for the compliment. Was hard work, but now I am glad I can drive it again and have fun with it.

Rudy
                          sigpic

Comment

Glad you got the trans. and Speedometer issues working.

That is a sharp looking Hawk, is it '57 Redwood, Coppertone or just modern Burnt Orange?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello Rich

Yeah, I am also glad I figured those things out.

The paint is Coppertone metallic, there is also a sticker under the glove box that indicates Coppertone metallic and arctic white. On the production order it also says Coppertone metallic.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X