Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving A Rare Intake Manifold - (Studa Motiv Model 101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving A Rare Intake Manifold - (Studa Motiv Model 101)

Bought this a few years ago 'as is' (without the top plate)
    Have seen them with three 2bbl's, and two 4bbl's...
    This one showed some machining marks where it had three 2bbl's (probably Stromberg 97's, or Holley 94's).
    Decided to make this one accept three Stromberg WW's (or Rochester 2GC's)
    It was partially polished, with the rest painted resale red...

Made up a new top plate.
    Used some carb risers (extra's that were made up for a Smoljan project from a few years ago)..
    Still a work in progress, but a teaser pic seemed like a fun thing to fling at y'all...

More pic's of this build are at:

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Question for the thrashers out there...
    I need to strip off the paint on this before polishing it.
    Since the finish is quite rough, it really holds the paint.
    Short of bead blasting it, what is a good suggestion for removing the paint without etching the aluminum so bad it is hard to polish?
    Looking for ingenious CASO methods here... No cryogenic gonkulator stuff, ok

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I think a quality brush on paint remover, allowed to soak in for awhile, would get into all the small pores and dissolve the old paint......without harming the aluminum at all....Flush with water.

Last I used was called Evercoat 'Aircraft Coating Remover'. Good luck,....Cool manifold!

Comment

Very cool manifold.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

At one time I cleaned lots of things in lacquer thinner. After a good soak, the paint always came off and it didn't harm the metal.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

That would make good sense, what with the aluminum and all..
            (Just don't want to create any more work than normal)..
            Thanks!

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            I think a quality brush on paint remover, allowed to soak in for awhile, would get into all the small pores and dissolve the old paint......without harming the aluminum at all....Flush with water.

Last I used was called Evercoat 'Aircraft Coating Remover'. Good luck,....Cool manifold!

Jeff

Comment

A quick visit to Summit Racing's website found this:

Free Shipping - Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Paint Stripper at Summit Racing.

Brand:
              Rust-Oleum Corporation

Manufacturer's Part Number:
              255449 $7.97 (per can)

Part Type:
              Paint Stripper

Product Line:
              Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover

Summit Racing Part Number:
              RLL-255449

Volume:
              18 oz.

Remove the most stubborn finishes with Rust-Oleum's Aircraft Remover!
              This professional-grade formula is offered in spray and liquid forms and starts working within five minutes! Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover
              effectively cuts through all types of tough finishes, but easily cleans up with just water.
              -------------------------------

Best part is I don't have to keep a gallon of the stuff around to dry out....

Jeff

Comment

Well...about the "meanest" solvent we used when I was in the paint equipment business was MEK. Unless it has been banned completely, you can get gallon cans of it in the paint department of Lowes and Home Depot. Most of our spray guns had aluminum bodies and they always survived the soaking/cleaning.

I enjoy your postings like this. Like our fellow northern member, "gord," you are another that needs to keep an eye open for the "fun-police." Someday...I'd love to make a pilgrimage in your direction, if for nothing else, to see how long it takes to wear out my welcome!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  <snip>
                  " Someday...I'd love to make a pilgrimage in your direction, if for nothing else, to see how long it takes to wear out my welcome!
                  C'mon down!
                  I have 'Guest rooms'......and 'Guest Brooms'.....

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, I'll ask a dangerous question.... What, if any, early Caddie intakes do you have lying around?

Comment

A good brake cleaner removes most paint. The stubborn stuff also gets a little scrubbing with a small brass bristled brush.
                      The cheaper brake cleaners don't work so well but this works pretty well -
                      Since 1971, CRC's Brakleen has been the best brake cleaner spray on the market. The very first product of its kind and is still the industry leader today.

Takes "clear" paint off very quickly...!

Mike

Comment

Jeff, I agree with John, MEK (MethElethelKetone) is about the best "cleaner" I've ever used. Watch out for the fumes, they are pretty overpowering. Having visited DEEPNHOCK acres, I can attest to the hospitality offered there. Jeff and Carrie are wonderful hosts and most enjoyable to "chat" with. Jeff has LOTS of neat toys to see and learn about. Bill

Comment

I used "Circa 1850" paint stripper to remove about 3 layers of paint from the headlamp bezel for a '47 Flxible bus.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Incredible diligence, Jeff. Thanks for posting and the link to even more info.
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              Jeff, I'll ask a dangerous question.... What, if any, early Caddie intakes do you have lying around?
                              Nothing right now, Matthew..

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X