2R5 Carburetor Accelerator Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 2R5 Carburetor Accelerator Pump

I need to learn how an accelerator pump works in a carburetor. I have a kit to install in the Carter BBR-1. The kit has a longer pump rod, and the one in the carburetor is shorter. The kit has been confirmed to be correct for that carburetor, and I have a carburetor on a scrap motor that has a longer pump rod of the same length as that in the kit. So, I can use the longer activation rod in the spare carburetor with the new accelerator pump in the kit. Also, I found in this forum where someone cut their pump rod and tigged it to the shorter length to match what they had. But whichever pump rod and activation rod I use the spring length leaves room for the activation rod to move a large part of its travel before it works the pump. There is just less room for the shorter rods. The spring is the same length in both carburetors. The rod seems to move most of its travel and only engages the accelerator pump at the very end of its travel. It has been awhile since I had a carburetor apart, but I do not remember there being a gap before the activation rod moves the accelerator pump. Am I wrong on this? Maybe I am just over thinking it. The repair manual shows 2 different measurements to set the accelerator pump rod height depending on two different model numbers. I do not find either number on either of my carburetors. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Maybe something in here could help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	p_ 57_jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1699612Click image for larger version

Name:	p_ 58_jpg.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1699613Click image for larger version

Name:	p_ 59_jpg.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1699614Click image for larger version

Name:	p_ 60_jpg.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1699615
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Yes! Thank you for these instructions. That is a lot more detail than is shown in the 2R repair manual. Photos 34 and 37, among others, show the rod of the accelerator pump being above the horizontal part of the activation rod which is the part that I did not think was right. I think that I am just overthinking the process, so I will put it together then see how it does. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X