wanted speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: wanted speedo cable

Anybody have a speedometer cable for a 55 commander 2dr hardtop v8 automatic? I just bought it and the speedo doesn't work. The cable is broken and I could not get the speedo needle to move when trying to turn the cable by hand. Also, just wondering, are these auto transmissions just two speed? Since I am new to Studebakers and to this forum I will probably be around fairly often asking more questions. Also would be interested in a good repair manual for this car. It has 55thousand miles and appears original and is in very nice shape, Just drove it for the first time yesterday.THANKS.....BUD

Welcome to the forum. Are you yet a Studebaker Drivers Club member if not please consider joining. I too have a '55 Studebaker however it is a President Sedan and is manual overdrive so my speedo cable will be different. Hopefully someone on the forum will be able to assist you. I believe your transmission is a DG (Detroit Gear) Transmission and it is a 3 speed with second gear start however someone else will I am sure confirm this.

Re printed parts and repair manuals are available from Studebaker International and other vendors. The following is a web page of Studebaker Vendors

Good luck with your car I am sure you will enjoy it. We have a member here in Ontario with a very nice example of a '55 Cmmander hardtop.

cliff t
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

If you unscrew the cable from the back of the Speedometer and try to spin the brass sleeve that is exposed and it does not turn, the cause of the broken cable is a seized Speedometer.

The Core in the Cable is replaceable with a universal Cable from your Auto Parts Store (NAPA).
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

2moredoors, I am in London but get to fort erie quite often. Is the other 55 in Welland as you are? THANKS.....BUD

Comment

Studerich, You are right, the speedo is hung up and does not want to turn by hand. Does it have to be removed from the dash to break it loose and does oiling it usually seem to work? THANKS.....BUD

Comment

Originally posted by kaley200 View Post
            Studerich, You are right, the speedo is hung up and does not want to turn by hand. Does it have to be removed from the dash to break it loose and does oiling it usually seem to work? THANKS.....BUD

Bud, I believe I still have the OEM one off my 59 Silver Hawk 259 3spd auto. Don't know if it's the same as yours but you can have it for $10 plus shipping from Texas. The cable and speedo worked smooth before I went to 350 Chevy motor and 700R4 tranny a few weeks ago.

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by kaley200 View Post
              2moredoors, I am in London but get to fort erie quite often. Is the other 55 in Welland as you are? THANKS.....BUD
              Sorry no the other '55 Commander Hardtop is near Barrie. The owner is Dave Warren (good guy), he posts on the forum, signs off as Perry Mason by day Perry Como by night.

My '55 is a President Deluxe Sedan but if you are coming down our way send me a pm before you come there are a couple of good cruises here you may want to take in.

cliff t
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Check with Robert Kapteyn, he has inventory from 29 Stude dealerships.

Comment

Thanks TREBLIG for the offer. I just ordered a speedo core today that is specific to a 55 hardtop auto. Dont know if yours off of the hawk will fit but even a 55 commander sedan was a different number so its hard to say. If this does not work I will probably take you up on your generous offer.I spend quite a bit of time in Houston so I am familiar with the good ole Texas boys. I do enjoy my time there. My nephew owns a dog training and care center which is what I did for 27 years in California......BUD

Comment

Tim444 that is good to know. How would I contact Robert? THANKS.....BUD (I'm sure I will be needing a few things in the future)

Comment

Has anyone else here had any luck breaking loose a speedometer needle which was seized? THANKS.....BUD Hate to think that I might have to replace the speedo itself.

Comment

Robert's number at the shop:
                        (815) 722-7262

Comment

tim333 Thanks. Will be contacting Robert as necessary.....BUD

Comment

2more doors, what colour is that 55 commander hardtop that you mentioned from up BARRIE way? Maybe this one I bought is the same one since I have no history with it. ALSO, I have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club by phone but have not yet received a member number to access their site. Just ordered a speedo core from SI but still will have to find a way to break the speedo needle itself loose so it can turn or I AM SURE IT WILL JUST BREAK THE CORE AGAIN. Don't have the ability to post pics right now so it would be easier to tell if by chance this is the same car.
                            Last edited by kaley200; 08-02-2015, 01:46 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Here is Dave's latest String:
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...8799-with-Pics!

His Commander is Black, and I don't think it will be for sale for quite SOME time!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X