'63 Avanti Parts from SI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: '63 Avanti Parts from SI

Am I just the unlucky one or have others experienced the same failure rate? Purchased many parts from SI in rebuilding my '63 Avanti:
    Tach Sending unit = didn't work out of the box
    Rear wheel cylinder = failed out of the box
    Water pump = failed after less than running it for 5 hours
    Temp sending unit = unstable & erratic readings. Pegged at full hot after the engine has run 3 minutes
    I went for the full "Restorer's Package" and bought a boatload of parts, but is this just a "normal" failure rate on NOS parts, or am I just special?
    Last edited by Dick LeRoux; 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM.

None of those mentioned are NOS, but are reproductions made in who knows where.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The H.D. Avanti Water Pumps ought to be Quality USA parts if New. What could be wrong with it?

A Wheel Cylinder or is it a Master Cylinder, is almost too simple to "Fail" what's wrong with it or them?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,
        thanks for the pointing out my ignorance. It's rear wheel cylinder, not master cylinder. The rear wheel cylinder leaked as soon as the braking system was connected & bled. It just leaked and wouldn't hold.

Comment

Dick, do You mean the piston/bore or at the line fitting ?
          Originally posted by dleroux View Post
          Rich,
          thanks for the pointing out my ignorance. It's rear wheel cylinder, not master cylinder. The rear wheel cylinder leaked as soon as the braking system was connected & bled. It just leaked and wouldn't hold.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Look inside that Cylinder and see if something like the Rubber Cups are backwards or something simple.
            Most of these items probably could be returned for credit or replacement.

Call and ask for Jim after you are SURE you did not do something wrong like crossed wires, shorting out an electrical item or whatever mistake that could happen.

The Temp. Sender could be fine and the dash Gauge is the problem.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As a Studebaker parts dealer, I have sold many V-8 water pumps, standard Studebaker and also Avanti only type, and have never had a early failure returned to me.
              I also have sold many of the 3/4" rear wheel cylinders without any issues.
              Likewise, temperature sending units, although, as mentioned, the dash gauge or associated wiring can be a problem.
              I have only rarely sold tach sending units, but again, never any problems reported.

Comment

Same thing with the tach sender, may actually be the tach head unit. There is a thread somewhere on testing the head with a battery to make sure it works, but I can't find it, I'm sure someone will find it and place a link here for you. Rear wheel cylinders have failed new even on a Toyota, I'm sure they will send you a replacement. Can't chime in on the sender, what was the guage doing that made you think it was bad? It's hard to get at and easy to hurt trying to get to it with the engine in the car, and the wire to it with that little slide on connector is prone to splitting and the insulation falling off from engine heat. That gage is fused very strangely, the circuit includes the temp gage, fuel gage and the LIGHT in the A/T shifter- a common place for a short or intermittent that doesn't cause the fuse to blow, especially if some one jury- rigged a higher amp fuse in the fuse panel like on mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                  As a Studebaker parts dealer, I have sold many V-8 water pumps, standard Studebaker and also Avanti only type, and have never had a early failure returned to me.
                  I also have sold many of the 3/4" rear wheel cylinders without any issues.
                  Likewise, temperature sending units, although, as mentioned, the dash gauge or associated wiring can be a problem.
                  I have only rarely sold tach sending units, but again, never any problems reported.
                  About 2 years ago, I had a HD version water-pump fail in less than 500 miles. The vendor cheerfully replaced it, and IIRC, had me mail the broken one to the maker in California. So nothing is 100 percent perfect, 100 percent of the time. But that was the first water-pump I've ever had that failed early. I usually get around 40,000 miles out of them.

Comment

Rear wheel cylinder leaked, rebuilt it (correctly) re-installed it, & it leaked. Got a replacement from Dave T. & that one was good to go.
                    The tach needle was not frozen but no response from the original tach sending unit. Bought the replacement from SI. Nothing. Sent the tach & the sending unit to Lauderdale Speed http://www.lspeedo.com/ & they tested the "New" tach sending unit & no response. They rebuilt the tach & sending unit & now it works.
                    The response on the temp gauge seems to be okay but the readings with the temp sending unit are erratic.
                    "New" water pump installed & less than 5 hours I have the tell tale grumbling bearing noise telling me it's giving up the ghost.

Comment

Wow, sorry that happened. Your "Fixes" instead of returning them sound VERY expensive!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rear wheel cylinder leaked, rebuilt it (correctly) re-installed it, & it leaked. Got a replacement from Dave T. & that one was good to go.
                        The tach needle was not frozen but no response from the original tach sending unit. Bought the replacement from SI. Nothing. Sent the tach & the sending unit to Lauderdale Speed http://www.lspeedo.com/ & they tested the "New" tach sending unit & no response. They rebuilt the tach & sending unit & now it works.
                        The response on the temp gauge seems to be okay but the readings with the temp sending unit are erratic.
                        "New" water pump installed & less than 5 hours I have the tell tale grumbling bearing noise telling me it's giving up the ghost.
                        Sorry, but welcome to the restorer's world. How much did it cost for the tach repairs, I have a new "sender repair kit" but not installed yet, if it doesn't work I'm inclined to send it out. Either that or start replacing all the gauges to match with new ones.

Comment

Lauderdale Speedometer repaired the entire unit, rebuilt the sending unit, calibrated it, and made sure everything was working , but it cost $485.00. As others have said before, "Nothing's more expensive than buying a cheap Avanti."

Comment

Lauderdale Speedometer repaired the entire unit, rebuilt the sending unit, calibrated it, and made sure everything was working , but it cost $485.00. As others have said before, "Nothing's more expensive than buying a cheap Avanti."

Or a not so cheap Avanti, that you didn't disassemble before purchase!! Yikes, I don't love my Tach that much, hope my "board" works or else all new gauges are in order.

Comment

Working...
                            X