Studebaker Avanti Thrill !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti Thrill !

A thrill that I'm sure all you Studebaker buffs out there will appreciate.............

While spending a few days with friends of ours in Naples, Maine, we were invited to visit with the owners of 1963 Studebaker Avanti 63R-1025.

This very special Avanti is the original HOT ROD MAGAZINE road test car from '63, with the prototype R3 299 CI Granatelli prepared engine and chassis. This Avanti has an extremely interesting history!

The Avanti's owners really made us feel at home (I got to sit in the car!).....It was a very special visit.

When I was a kid, I purchased that copy of HRM with this exact Avanti in it!....I never dreamed back then that fifty-two years later that particular piece of Studebaker history would still exist....and I'd be able to actually view it.

Really,...this was quite a day for 'Old SN-60', and a highlight of my Maine vacation!

Wow! Good for you, that would be close to one of My Dreams: getting to DRIVE Sherwood Egbert's own Specially equipped '64 Avanti!

Even getting to Sit in it would be quite a thrill.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Yes, I figured I'd hear this!......But although I had cameras with me, I did not ask to take photos of this special Studebaker Avanti.

Reason?...this vehicle hasn't been seen for many years, and the owner is thinking of bringing it to an International meet in the near future for its 'unveiling'.

I feel the ultimate showing and posting of photos of this rare Avanti is completely up to the owner when he's ready!...Ed

Comment

Ed, You mean to tell Me You couldn't BEG a ride on the open road - and then afterwards scream out "WHAT A RUSH,ACTION PACKED"
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            Ed, You mean to tell Me You couldn't BEG a ride on the open road - and then afterwards scream out "WHAT A RUSH,ACTION PACKED"
            Hi Joe!...How's everything in Connecticut?......63R-1025 hasn't been registered in quite a while!

Comment

Well no plate is better than mis - use of plate . doing ok,I heard the other day some of You Folks still have ICE lurking
              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Hi Joe!...How's everything in Connecticut?......63R-1025 hasn't been registered in quite a while!
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Wow! Good for you, that would be close to one of My Dreams: getting to DRIVE Sherwood Egbert's own Specially equipped '64 Avanti!

Even getting to Sit in it would be quite a thrill.

I know what you mean Rich. Certain Studebaker go far beyond the 'norm', usually because of historic reasons....It's a real thrill for us buffs to get near one of these very special vehicles!

Comment

1025 has had California Non-Op registration since about 1998. It had an off road adventure involving my son and a farmers barbed wire fence in Danville, Ca. about that time.

I moved to Maine in 2000 and brought it with me. Son is visiting for awhile and the mechanical issues should be resolved in a month or so. Following the national meet we will start work on the fiberglass repairs. We decided we want it back on the road so restoring the color from charcoal metallic to Avanti Turquoise and black interior to turquoise will wait for another day.

Hopefully it will be drivable before the snow falls, else next year. Working simultaneously on a 71. Hope to be able to take both to some meets in a year or so.

Last shown at the Seattle 1991 Western states meet to the best of my knowledge. Took 1st in class at that meet.

Comment

by the way, anyone know how I got to be a "Champion Member". Dad had a 51 champ but i never even drove that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rcrall View Post
                      by the way, anyone know how I got to be a "Champion Member". Dad had a 51 champ but i never even drove that one.
                      You change model names by the number of posts you have.

Comment

Ron, Go to Club Forum Discussions and go down and click onto
                        Pure curiosity on member "status"

Comment

Got a kick out of all the 'breathers' on 63R-1025's R3 engine. The Granatellis must have learned from their Indy experiences that high RPM and internal engine pressure just don't mix!

Comment

If 1025 gets to attend Warwick next year it won't have original color and engine repairs for 8,000 RPM operation. The earliest possibility (and my hope) is that it can come to South Bend in 2017 (20 years after it came off the road) with correct turquoise/turquoise and engine refreshing.

Comment

I have worked on Raymond Loewys 1st Avanti, and his last one he owned. There was a definite aura surrounding something as special as those cars
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X