PDA

View Full Version : The R1 Early '63 GT Hawk is back on eBay

StudeRich
07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
This is the one that the "Classic Car Dealer" thinks has a 259 Engine but appears to be a non-package Early (with flush Parking Lights) '63 R1 289 with 240 H.P. and either a Std. Flight-O-Matic or a H.D. Flight-O-Matic.

It's back on eBay, this time with no reserve!

I don't think I will tell him. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171873548543?forcerRptr=true&item=171873548543&viewitem=

karterfred88
07-29-2015, 11:06 PM
What do think is up with the cut hoses at the firewall? Think the A/C unit is a Vintage air or something like it with it's own heater core?

jclary
07-29-2015, 11:27 PM
What do think is up with the cut hoses at the firewall? Think the A/C unit is a Vintage air or something like it with it's own heater core?

I'm not sure of what changed between the GT years. Mine was a '62. Those hoses you are referring to would have been to the defroster heater core on my '62. If the car is true to the pictures...there's some good potential here. However, whoever installed the air conditioner hoses probably knew nothing about making up hoses. Those look to be some standard pre-made assemblies that are looped around and crammed in. The positive battery lead looks too long as well. It is these nit picking details that would make me wonder if there are more serious shortcuts and sloppy work lurking in unseen areas.

karterfred88
07-29-2015, 11:38 PM
I have a soft spot for 63s but this does look more like a good "starting point" than something ready to use. Front end looks a little saggy too, no? The serial plate area of the post is a little strange, a few extra threaded holes, or is that normal? Haven't looked at one closely in many years.

Jett289
07-30-2015, 12:46 AM
Its a great looking car and I really like it .. Nicely priced as well .. Wonder if the engine was changed out at some point ??
Wish they would spend as much time telling about the car as their warranty and ebay policy .. Typical .

StudeRich
07-30-2015, 02:27 AM
/Cut/The serial plate area of the post is a little strange, a few extra threaded holes, or is that normal? Haven't looked at one closely in many years.

That is exactly how the Factory installed the Serial Number Plates, that one is very original looking and better than a lot of them. :ohmy:

Engineering designed them to be temporarily fastened by 2 Screws in the two notches in the edge of the Plate and the two holes in the Door Post and then they were to be welded in place and the screws could be removed.

In the haste of Production what happened is what you see, a bare metal spot with dimples for the welds was there but rarely did the plate ever get centered over it before being welded.
I have NEVER seen one welded over/into the Dimples.

It appears that they masking taped it to the door post wherever it landed and hit it with a few Electric Welds. I guess the thinking on the line was that it was not a cosmetically important piece or mechanical thing that needed to be right.

My #64V1037 Daytona Sedan, the 37th. '64 V8 Studebaker built, was so badly skewed that the Calif. Highway Patrol had it impounded to a Shop in the Calif. Desert (Barstow) and they removed the Trailer Hitch to grind the frame & inspect the "Secret" Serial Number to verify that it was not a stolen. :woot:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjgzWDEwMjQ=/z/OaQAAOSwd0BVt-Zm/$_4.JPG