Immortality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immortality

Why do you own an historic car? I know we all enjoy driving around in our Studebaker's. The looks we get, the thumbs up, the horn honks. I see it every time I take my GT out for a spin. And some of us really enjoy working on them, fixing and improving whatever we can. But, could at least part of it be a feeling of a kind of "virtual immortality" we get by knowing that when we pass our baby on to the next person a little bit of us goes with it. Thoughts?
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

I love driving my car and being with other Studebaker enthusiasts, but I don't worry about what happens after I am gone. It's not eternally important.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I am seventy-four years old, and know that my ashes won't be cold until most of my Studebakers and memorabilia are sold. My grandson (now eight-years-old) has loved the old 1949 pickup all of his life. It is in my will that he gets that. I am going to try to give the '64 convertible a paint job and air-conditioning so that my wife will keep and drive it. She says she would like to keep it, but who knows. That's all I have to add other than when I'm gone, I'm gone. It won't matter to me what happens.

Comment

I've got a car right now that I would like to pass on. Virtual immortality. Don't need it. Unless it comes with a cash payment. cheers jimmijim
        Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
        Why do you own an historic car? I know we all enjoy driving around in our Studebaker's. The looks we get, the thumbs up, the horn honks. I see it every time I take my GT out for a spin. And some of us really enjoy working on them, fixing and improving whatever we can. But, could at least part of it be a feeling of a kind of "virtual immortality" we get by knowing that when we pass our baby on to the next person a little bit of us goes with it. Thoughts?
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Good insight. For some of us, doing something "useful" -- whether it be working on an old car, distributing clothes to the homeless, helping to restore a historic building, or nursing orphaned dogs back to health -- is more gratifying than, say, winning a poker tournament. Several of the vehicles I have saved would have been turned into new Kias had I not intervened, and for some reason I feel like I have contributed to our heritage in some way by doing so.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I plan on living forever. So far so good
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Kind of a nice thought.....and well said!

Comment

For me it is part nostalgia, part fun, partly a need to be different, and partly a love of the Marque and a desire to preserve the history.
                That last point may be the most important reason I drive Studebakers. The company made great vehicles, from wagons to automobiles. The history of the Studebaker family and the company is very interesting and a big part of American History. Studebakers were used in war starting with the American Civil War, right through Vietnam.
                Preserving the examples that remain is important because these were, in many ways, part of the fabric and history of transportation in America. If we let these vehicles disappear except for a few examples in museums, then we do our heritage a disservice. I do not really own any of my Studebakers. I am merely the current steward, doing my part to preserve vehicles that were made in America, with pride, craftsmanship and style. If all of us do not do this then they will all but disappear. Once they are gone, they are gone.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Well said, Commander Eddie!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

When I am gone folks will need to move quickly. My wife is going to throw everything away.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      For me it is part nostalgia, part fun, partly a need to be different, and partly a love of the Marque and a desire to preserve the history.
                      That last point may be the most important reason I drive Studebakers. The company made great vehicles, from wagons to automobiles. The history of the Studebaker family and the company is very interesting and a big part of American History. Studebakers were used in war starting with the American Civil War, right through Vietnam.
                      Preserving the examples that remain is important because these were, in many ways, part of the fabric and history of transportation in America. If we let these vehicles disappear except for a few examples in museums, then we do our heritage a disservice. I do not really own any of my Studebakers. I am merely the current steward, doing my part to preserve vehicles that were made in America, with pride, craftsmanship and style. If all of us do not do this then they will all but disappear. Once they are gone, they are gone.
                      That's it! I don't own my GT I'm just taking care of it for the next guy/gal. Hopefully I can take care of a few things that need attention and keep it running and on the road. I saved everything that the former owner kept. Cars were made to be driven
                      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

But, could at least part of it be a feeling of a kind of "virtual immortality" we get by knowing that when we pass our baby on to the next person a little bit of us goes with it. Thoughts?
                        I never thought of it that way, I guess I enjoy living in the moment. Interesting perspective though.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

i love the '51 which i'm now the caretaker. i wish i had the '40 and Avanti back. but it's mainly the folks in the local club(s), and ones i've met here on the Forum that keep me from straying...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                          X