PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay 64 Avanti

karterfred88
07-28-2015, 12:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Avanti-R2-Supercharged-1-of-281-RARE-/281758880707?forcerrptr=true&hash=item419a2353c3&item=281758880707
Is this really a R2? the engine is not original, looks like a clover leaf on the pad (at the 4) and stamped with a RSJ ***. SN R5208? Looks like a lot of work but may be worth it, if really a R2.

Commander Eddie
07-28-2015, 12:12 PM
This car belongs to one of our members who is extremely knowledgeable. If you have questions you might want to send a message to him. You can trust what he tells you.

Guido
07-28-2015, 12:27 PM
This car belongs to one of our members who is extremely knowledgeable. If you have questions you might want to send a message to him. You can trust what he tells you.

Correct, he is also selling the '63 fuel tanker discussed here a few days ago.

StudeRich
07-28-2015, 01:01 PM
According to the Engine Serial Number it is a Sept. 4, 1963 Assembled '64 R2 RS Avanti Engine.
The Car is also a real R2, read all the details and view all of the Pics, it is a Rare '64 with a LOT of potential.

If that really IS a replacement Engine, it probably is an exact clone of the original, so even a Newer Engine.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-28-2015, 01:31 PM
He states "not for faint of heart" in the ad.
What a project.
It's a shasta car !
As in .....shasta have everything.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-28-2015, 01:39 PM
According to the Engine Serial Number it is a Sept. 4, 1963 Assembled '64 R2 RS Avanti Engine.
The Car is also a real R2, read all the details and view all of the Pics, it is a Rare '64 with a LOT of potential.

If that really IS a replacement Engine, it probably is an exact clone of the original, so even a Newer Engine.
Were cloverleaf engines used for replacements only ?
Did Studebaker use cloverleaf engines from factory ?
Would there be any way to show/prove that ?
Production order, or ?????
I know that cloverleafs have been discussed here , but I don't remember specifics on them.

63t-cab
07-28-2015, 02:40 PM
As much as I like Avantis "and I own one", how does that saying go - nothing more expensive than a in - expensive Avanti :ohmy:. I still wonder why more of these were not 4 - speeds :confused:

karterfred88
07-28-2015, 03:02 PM
As much as I like Avantis "and I own one", how does that saying go - nothing more expensive than a in - expensive Avanti :ohmy:. I still wonder why more of these were not 4 - speeds :confused:
Because it was 1962 and modern cars had automatics, especially if you wanted to sell them to everyone. How many manual transmission T'birds, Vettes, Caddies, Chrysler 300s were sold then. Even today, finding a car with a manual is getting hard, people don't want to drive, they want to ride. After all, everyone wants a "Google" car right!! Looking back, it's a wonder they even bothered to offer it at all.

63t-cab
07-28-2015, 03:23 PM
I'd have to agree with You about the Luxury Cars "once the autos came into play that is" but Sports Cars/Sport type Cars the 4 speed was the ticket - or should have been :!:

Because it was 1962 and modern cars had automatics, especially if you wanted to sell them to everyone. How many manual transmission T'birds, Vettes, Caddies, Chrysler 300s were sold then. Even today, finding a car with a manual is getting hard, people don't want to drive, they want to ride. After all, everyone wants a "Google" car right!! Looking back, it's a wonder they even bothered to offer it at all.

StudeRich
07-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Were cloverleaf engines used for replacements only ?
Did Studebaker use cloverleaf engines from factory ?
Would there be any way to show/prove that ?
Production order, or ?????
I know that cloverleafs have been discussed here , but I don't remember specifics on them.
They were Replacement, H.D. Truck or Avanti Short Blocks. They COULD be used to replace a Standard 259 or 289, both were available.

It would be awfully unusual to find one factory Installed, since the factory normally had Hundreds of Production Engines available on site, scheduled and not for the Line.
They would have to send someone to the Plant 8 Warehouse (Offsite) for a Replacement. Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely.

karterfred88
07-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I'd have to agree with You about the Luxury Cars "once the autos came into play that is" but Sports Cars/Sport type Cars the 4 speed was the ticket - or should have been :!:
AH, key phrase "should have been". Let me just say the "new" 1953 Corvette sports car was introduced with a six and powerglide A/T. Very sporting, wouldn't you say? Remember an Avanti ticket price was approximately $5000.00 for an R2 in 1963, a Caddy a couple of hundred more, and a T'bird about $4500.00, a Vette about $4500.00. So it was competing in the Luxury market based on price-as a 4 seat sports coupe.

63t-cab
07-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Funny how People view things,growing up as a little kid in the mid 60s and all of the 70s My Father,Brothers and their Friends and Our neighbor hood just about nothing but 4 speeds,even 3 speeds with over drive rolling up the pavement where ever they went.when my Father ordered His new 73 Ford Galaxy He begged Ford to give Him standard shift,and He had to settle for AT :mad:. over the years I would be talking with a local and always would come up - ya a 4 speed is the ticket,that's My story and I'm sticking to it ;)

AH, key phrase "should have been". Let me just say the "new" 1953 Corvette sports car was introduced with a six and powerglide A/T. Very sporting, wouldn't you say? Remember an Avanti ticket price was approximately $5000.00 for an R2 in 1963, a Caddy a couple of hundred more, and a T'bird about $4500.00, a Vette about $4500.00. So it was competing in the Luxury market based on price-as a 4 seat sports coupe.

karterfred88
07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Funny how People view things,growing up as a little kid in the mid 60s and all of the 70s My Father,Brothers and their Friends and Our neighbor hood just about nothing but 4 speeds,even 3 speeds with over drive rolling up the pavement where ever they went.when my Father ordered His new 73 Ford Galaxy He begged Ford to give Him standard shift,and He had to settle for AT :mad:. over the years I would be talking with a local and always would come up - ya a 4 speed is the ticket,that's My story and I'm sticking to it ;)
I'm with you, all the "kids" my age in the 60's wanted and had 3 or 4 speeds-but none of our parents had a stick. Even my Dad's last "stick" was a 3 on the tree 54 Champion, his 57 GH, 59 SH, 61 SH, and his 64 Avanti--all A/T. But the first car I got (not a left over from Mom) was a 63 GT Hawk 4 speed, used. From then, till now, all my personal cars are manuals.

bezhawk
07-29-2015, 06:03 PM
How many times has this car been wrecked? I can count at least three. No blower pieces equates to a 2500 expense to make up.