Less SDC Meets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less SDC Meets?

I thought the questionnaire sent out with the August issue of 'TURNING WHEELS' magazine was quite interesting.

Looks like SDC management is seriously considering changes concerning future International Stude meets.

One proposal under consideration is having the International meet held only once every three years.....and to have it at South Bend.....Interesting!

Looks like 'Times They are a-Changing'!

Not surprised...If you look at the thread about the age of the club members. MOST of the club members are OLD(no offense intended). Typical of many antique car clubs. Those that have the time and $$ to help with a national meet no longer have the wherewithal. Those that have the wherewithal don't have the time or $$. We(with ability) are working a 40+ hr. week and paying a mortgage and car payment. National meets, as awesome as they are, can't survive as they currently exist. There is a small group (unfortunately) that is able to organize and run a national show. That group is 65-75+ years old. I truly appreciate that those guys do what they do for the club. It is , however, unrealistic to think that group of guys can continue to put on a show the scope of a national level. I believe that the next few national meets will be the test if national meets can survive as they are now. I (unfortunately) believe that the SDC, like many other antique car clubs, will go to a more centrally located, less frequent national meet in order for the national meet to survive. LET'S GO local chapters to pick up the slack and have some one or two day shows to pick up the slack. A five or six day show is nearly impossible for a person with a 9-5 job and family. A day or two show is more affordable and more realistic for the people that are the future of the club. I LOOOVE the national meets! Realistically---something needs to give. I'm thrilled that the SDC sees the writing on the wall and they are being proactive and asking the membership for its opinion. I'm curious as to how the questionnaire was answered by age group -vs- general membership. Answer the questionnaire...or...don't complain about the outcome.

Comment

I think having International Meets every other year, with a South Bend Meet every third, (or six years) would make those hosting Zone meets feel there efforts are more worthwhile, and would increase Zone Meet attendance.
      Just a thought.
      JS

Questionnaire is "in the mail" 7/31/15.
      JS
      Last edited by LarkTruck; 07-30-2015, 04:53 PM.
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Keep your ideas coming... AND FILL IN AND MAIL THE QUESTIONNAIRE to Mimi!

She loves getting mail!

Comment

Thanks for your attention to this, everyone.

You do not have to identify yourself when filling out the questionnaire, so you can be honest. (Mine was mailed a couple days ago, BTW.)

Meanwhile, let's not jump to any conclusions here one way or another. I know Mimi and others have been in touch with The Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club National Meet Committee, in that they have a format similar to ours, moving their National Meet around the country. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That SDC chose to do the questionnaire reply by snail-mail and didn't post it here at all tells all.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

It tells me that they want to be sure that everyone gets a chance to fill out the questionnaire.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                That SDC chose to do the questionnaire reply by snail-mail and didn't post it here at all tells all.

jack vines
                Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                It tells me that they want to be sure that everyone gets a chance to fill out the questionnaire.
                What I'd like to see is that after the mailed results are tallied...do a poll here and compare the results.

Also, remember, there are many here who are not SDC dues paying members. The input of non paying SDC members could influence operational decisions in a matter they have no vested business. In the way stockholders don't allow non-investors to vote on corporate operations... neither should the SDC.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
                  'TURNING WHEELS' also comes my way by 'snail mail'....and I for one think that's just fine!

Comment

I agree that it is time for SDC to plan ahead given member demographics. However, I would hate to see the Meets (whatever format and no matter how frequent, or infrequent) held at the same place all the time. Even if "centrally located," whatever that came to mean, would not afford many of the Club a realistic opportunity to ever attend, even if not bringing a vehicle. But, we'll see what people "say" they want and by default imply they are willing to support at some point... and, yes, my form was in the mail immediately after getting it... all 200 copies I printed!

Comment

I hope the vendors also have a say in this. Their input is also of value to these International Meets.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the heads up as I have not received my August newsletter yet.

I think the IM's should be spread around, but even then they have become so expensive that I cannot afford to go nearly as often as I would like even if they are on the East Coast. I hope the SDC leadership will not only consider where and how often IM's are held, but also what happens at these events. I have been disappointed in the lack of activities that involve driving our Studebakers. The main thing I enjoyed at Dover was driving in the Studebaker only events. We seem to be slowly forgetting that we are a drivers club.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I did my questionnaire immediately and sent it to Mimi. I'm 78 and love the International meets. I do, however recognize that many of our members just can't justify going to an Int'l meet that lasts almost a week. I have the time and money, but, at my age, it's getting more difficult to physically enjoy a long meet. Perhaps shorter meets of around 3 days would work better for most people.
                          I'm very interested to find out the results of the questionnaire. I'm proud of SDC for having the courage and desire to reevaluate how the club presents national mets to its members.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Perhaps it could be coordinated for our club to share a meet with another orphan automobile club(s) (ex. Hudson-Essex-Terraplane).
                            The South Bend meet would be Studebaker only, but other areas of the country could share a location with another marque.
                            It could even potentially work with a tractor or truck club. That would certainly add variety to the show field and draw-in more spectators who would then see our Studebakers.

Some of the national meet activities are not Studebaker related, therefor they could be shared with another club therefor providing equal benefit to both. This would provide more potential volunteers to run the events.
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I have not received my Aug. TW yet, but will need to give it a lot of thinking, as one gets older things do change and not always for the best.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X