Fantom Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantom Commander

No one saw the 'Fantomworks' restoration show this week where a very nice '50 Commander convertible is brought back to life?

Dan converted the car from 6V to 12V.....I figured a move like that would 'Bring The House Down' on this forum!!
    Last edited by SN-60; 07-26-2015, 11:57 AM.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    No one saw the 'Fantom Autoworks' show this week where a very nice '50 Commander convertible is brought back to life?

Dan converted the car from 6V to 12V.....I figured a move like that would 'Bring The House Down' on this forum!!
    Dan is such a head strong know it all I don't think anyone here (me included) wants to admit they watch the show.
    Though I will admit I missed this episode.
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
      Dan is such a head strong know it all I don't think anyone here (me included) wants to admit they watch the show.
      Though I will admit I missed this episode.
      JS
      Well Lark, like Dan says on his shows intro,.....If he had to choose between you and your car.....he wouldn't choose you!

Comment

I watch it on a regular basis now that the angst and BS has been toned down. I continue to be amazed at what some folks will spend to bring back a low value car. IIRC the early Barracuda cost about $80K to restore and, I think, the 50 Stude 'vert was over $40K eventhough it started in pretty good nick.

I always like to watch Pros do what they do well. I just wonder whom pays for the tires after Dan does a brake test. The GTO must have a flat spot or two on it's meats.

Bob

Comment

It's on tonight (sunday) at 8:00 Eastern on Velocity. The Stude 'vert show that is.

Comment

That thought crossed my mind too.I think He said a gas tank and a couple brake items were $1,000.00 - was it a n.o.s. tank ?
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              That thought crossed my mind too.I think He said a gas tank and a couple brake items were $1,000.00 - was it a n.o.s. tank ?
              Apparently the Commander's original gas tank couldn't be saved, and the 'possibly' NOS replacement tank was over $500!

Comment

At least there is another 1950 Commander convertible on the road... I also noticed (at the end of the show) that the woman has since passed away. We hope the husband can driver the car in her memory. Does anyone know the owner??

Comment

I watch the show because there are no artificial deadlines to rush to meet, and not hacked to quick flip on some unsuspecting fool.

I have wondered how he can present the large bills when he had the cars for many months and must have collected some cash in the mean time. That row of cars outside his shop must be orders he had to "eat" because someone couldn't or wouldn't pay the tab.

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Admittedly, it is hard to imagine when seen through the prism of the only club that is so proud of being cheapskates that they have an actual title for it LOL
                      That has to be the quote of the month Bob - love it!!

However, I will admit I'm out of touch on 'restoration shop' rates - $40K+ for the work done on the '50 convertible, and it didn't need paint, interior, bodywork. WOW
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        I have wondered how he can present the large bills when he had the cars for many months and must have collected some cash in the mean time. That row of cars outside his shop must be orders he had to "eat" because someone couldn't or wouldn't pay the tab.
                        Restoration shops in my experience operate by sending the vehicle owner a statement every two weeks for work performed and parts obtained...if the owner fails to send prompt payment the work stops until the account is up to date. That way, the shop is not out much while cars sit.

I do know of one vehicle (an Avanti), that sat in a shop for so long that the shop owner was going to start legal proceedings to obtain a mechanics lien on it. The owner eventually had to sell the car to settle up the account.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          Restoration shops in my experience operate by sending the vehicle owner a statement every two weeks for work performed and parts obtained...if the owner fails to send prompt payment the work stops until the account is up to date. That way, the shop is not out much while cars sit.

I do know of one vehicle (an Avanti), that sat in a shop for so long that the shop owner was going to start legal proceedings to obtain a mechanics lien on it. The owner eventually had to sell the car to settle up the account.
                          I would think any good business is run like this. From the Fantomworks website on terms and conditions they state this on payments.

From Fantomworks
                          5. What is the payment schedule like?

We will send the customer reports of the progress made. At these junctures, we generally require some payment toward the total bill. We generally require about 25% as a down payment. Note: We CANNOT accept checks as final payment for new customers.
                          Here's there list of the all the comments on the FAQ page

Comment

LOL Thanks, Paul.

What Bruce and Bob mention is pretty much SOP in the business. I have mostly been building racecars the last few years, and it's the same way. For a small job, say under $2000, the customer just pays at the time of delivery. Beyond that it is usually a percentage down and pay as you go. Some just write a check for the full amount quoted and then another at the end for any overages. Usually the bigger spenders are usually fine with whatever terms you set for payment; they are far more interested in getting what they want the way they want it.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Gosh, who would think that 'High End' race car owners would consult with a shop known to associate themselves with ADMITTED CASO'S???

Comment

Working...
                              X