PDA

View Full Version : Can someone repost the color factory slides

Studebaker1965
07-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi all,
I've been using the 1965 factory slides that were posted on here last year to look at paint schemes. Up until this week, I could find them in the search function. Now they're gone. Can someone repost them? I'm in the middle of painting my engine. Thanks!

StudeRich
07-24-2015, 02:45 PM
You really can't miss by much with all Black and early Yellow Valve covers or late Black ones, Black is Black. :)

8E45E
07-24-2015, 02:50 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?82969-1965-283-Color-Slides-Possible-Engineering-Factory&highlight=McKinnon

Craig

Deaf Mute
07-24-2015, 04:52 PM
StudeRich... There are more "black" formulas than you can imagine. But for a Studebaker engine you are correct... "Black is Black".
I never believed there were so many "white" formulas until I was working in a body shop back in the late 1950's; and there have to be more today.

Warren Webb
07-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Sorry but Rich is right. Back in the day when things were simpler there was only one color formula for black. I just picked up my DuPont color chip book for 1979 & found that the same color formula for black was used by AMC, Chrysler, Ford & G.M. (DuPont #99) This naturally applied to the exterior & interior colors (interior colors usually required some amount of flattening compound). Some years later manufacturers started "playing" with black colors adding different metallics & altering the shade by various means.

Studebaker1965
07-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Thanks for posting the slides. I agree black may be black (back in the day), but I am playing with gloss levels to get it looking right. I'm using acrylic urethane which is extremely glossy and requires a dulling agent to get it nice. Thanks!