starter solenoid wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: starter solenoid wiring

I just got a new starter solenoid from NAPA for my '62 Champ 259. Their part number is ST81. It looks identical to the old one. It also fits Fords of that era. Wiring diagrams I see for this solenoid have the large battery and starter terminals reversed compared to my current setup. Does this matter? The solenoid is simply making and breaking the circuit connecting these terminals right?
    Last edited by oldguy_46ca; 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM.

If you have a four wire solenoid and if the terminals are marked. The small S terminal is next to the large post that connects to the cable from the battery. The I terminal is next to the large terminal that connects to the starter.
    The S terminal connects to the wire from the ignition switch and if used the I terminal connects to the wire to the coil.
    I believe if you reverse the battery and starter cables the I terminal will be hot at all times. It should only be hot when you are starting the car.

Ron

Comment

I didn't see any letters on the new unit. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Oldguy

With a 12 volt battery and 3 jumper leads or you could also mount the solenoid and use the large battery cable
        Connect the frame of the solenoid to the ground terminal
        Connect one of the large terminals to the batteries positive terminal
        Take a jumper wire from the positive terminal to the small terminal closest to the large terminal that is connected to the battery.
        If the solenoid clicks; The small terminal is the S terminal
        If the solenoid does not click move the positive wire from the battery to the other large terminal and try again.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
          I just got a new starter solenoid from NAPA for my '62 Champ 259. Their part number is ST81. It looks identical to the old one. It also fits Fords of that era. Wiring diagrams I see for this solenoid have the large battery and starter terminals reversed compared to my current setup. Does this matter? The solenoid is simply making and breaking the circuit connecting these terminals right?
          I
          I just went through same procedure and the wiring diagram on the box shows an electro magnet on the battery terminal to actuate the switch. It may not work if in backwards or it may shorten its life.

Comment

Working...
          X