Studebaker Truck Starts Forest Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Truck Starts Forest Fire

Watching the news tonight about the fires in the mountains...they say it was started by an old truck with problems. First they show an axel & wheel assembly laying along side the highway and a few yards up the road is a disabled mid-50s Studebaker pickup: white with red fenders.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Yikes! I hope it wasn't StudeBob Kabchef's! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nope. Pete is sitting here next to some orange trees.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

One of my first Fire Dept calls was a forest fire caused by a car wreck. Here it was a Chevy Chevette burning away and had set the forest on fire. Chief said "put the hose on the trees, never mind the car for now, gas tank already blew".
        Police showed up and wanted the tag number, no tag on the car. Found it about twenty feet away where it landed after the gas tank let loose. Had to hold it for the Police as it was still warmish. Turned out to be a stolen car from Philadelphia. Who'd steal a Chevette?
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Happened in Kyburz California. Don't recognize the truck from any Karel Staple meetings.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Looks like that smoke was flying well before the arrival of any Studebaker!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just doesn't want to admit to the KOPS he was Doing a Burnout and set the forest on fire!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kyburz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1699475 News this morning showed this image which indicates that the truck was not consumed in the fire. the hillside fire is extinguished and the wheel that fell off the truck is stowed away in the back of the truck. If you look at the previous picture, there was only one extra tire in the back.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    Nope. Pete is sitting here next to some orange trees.
                    Good. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

been there..........

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]45894[/ATTACH] News this morning showed this image which indicates that the truck was not consumed in the fire. the hillside fire is extinguished and the wheel that fell off the truck is stowed away in the back of the truck. If you look at the previous picture, there was only one extra tire in the back.
                      Had my back wheel fall off in traffic last year. A little hairy-scary as I was approaching a set of lights. This one does not look any worse for wear. Mine bent up my fender a bit. Let the sparks fly!!!

Comment

Good she is saved. Anyone with computer capabilities to blow up the last pic to see what motor he was hauling?
                        Bill

Comment

The engine has very rectangular valve covers with three bolts. GM? BTW Most computer will enlarge the pictures if you press CTRL +. Sometimes the picture is fuzzy, but this one holds up fairly well.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well if this poor fellow actually did accidentally cause this fire by losing a wheel, the State will bill him for the fire suppression. Looks to be a couple of mill. too. I feel for 'em.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                            X