15" wheel for a '63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 15" wheel for a '63 Avanti

After finally getting the trunk open on my '63 Avanti, I find (no surprise) that there isn't a spare, jack, etc. I've had the regular 15" wheels powder coated in the exact correct color so now I'm on a search for a spare. What exact 15" wheel will work for a '63 Avanti? I'll get it powder coated in the correct color but I'd rather have a spare than use a can of the "fix-a-flat" Any advice would help.
    Thanks

You're going to have some trouble finding a correct Avanti rim...trying the usual Studebaker vendors is likely the best way. You should have an easier time finding a Ford or Mopar rim in the 4 1/2" bolt circle but they'll likely be 15" x 6" wide and the spare tire lid won't close flush with the trunk floor.

Unless you're a purist...which is certainly ok...the easier way is to find a space-saver spare with the correct bolt circle and overall height. I did that...I found a NOS space-saver on eBay and it cost $30 including shipping. I also purchased from Walmart a GM Goodwrench scissors jack and handle for less than $15. As I said...if you're not a purist this is a much less expensive way to go...plus you get additional storage space in the spare tire well.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

This is one can of worms. Everybody has their own remedy. I have 2 different sizes of tires on my car. Neither will fit in the spare tire well. That wimpy little accordion, screw jack is a pain. I have used a Ford space saver spare and a small aluminum hydraulic jack, never had to use them. But then again I don't drive on dark and rainy nights.

Comment

Amen, bro!
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

A reasonable replacement for the spare, special, Disc Brake compatible, Kelsey Hayes 5 Inch X 15 Wheel, would be the '63-'66 Lark/Hawk W/disc 4 1/2 Inch X 15 stock wheel.

That would be my choice to look correct and still be functionable, I don't think anyone is going to remove the Tire to measure it!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            A reasonable replacement for the spare, special, Disc Brake compatible, Kelsey Hayes 5 Inch X 15 Wheel, would be the '63-'66 Lark/Hawk W/disc 4 1/2 Inch X 15 stock wheel.

That would be my choice to look correct and still be functionable, I don't think anyone is going to remove the Tire to measure it!
            I have one of those, but I am sure that you can locate one MUCH closer to you.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yikes--its seems everyone who has a part for someone else is always on the other side of the country. I think we all need to move to Indiana so we can easily swap parts!!

Comment

I am just "up the Road" (Interstate 5) all he has to do is PM me to pick up a wheel.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a white wheel/tire that was in the spare tire well of the 1963 Avanti I bought several months ago. The tire on it is an Atlas Plycron 6.85/15 (says it replaces 6.00/15) with a Goodyear recap on it. The tire is probably no good, but the rim is - I believe - original and shows only a few rust spots where paint has rubbed off. I will be coming to the swap meet in Kelso next month and I will bring the wheel/tire if you are interested. Tom 530-534-3309

Comment

Tom; Where is the Kelso Swap at and how big is it? And is it a Stude only or multi mark?
                    Last edited by Alan; 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Alan,

It is the Studebaker Drivers Club Pacific Can-Am Zone Meeting in Kelso, WA on August 28-30. I plan to bring some surplus Avanti and Studebaker parts to sell.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
                        Great. I planned to attend and now I find there will parts there for sale. I may as well shoot myself now to save my wife the trouble.
                        See you all in Kelso.
                        Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X