PDA

View Full Version : Other: jack for 62 hawk

dallastx75208
07-21-2015, 10:20 PM
I do not have a jack for my 62 hawk and I am tired of hearing the tire bounce around. Does any 60's bumper jack work or was Studebaker jacks specific for their cars.

Thanks,
Jon Greene

Quentin
07-23-2015, 06:16 AM
How interesting! Heres me thinking I responded to this yesterday, but my and 3 or 4 other responses seem to have disappeared.... Anyways, deja vu all over again.....
As I said, I purchased a 60's Ford Galaxie bumper jack that fitted well, and is a perfect fit when stored as per the Stude jack in the trunk. However, the bumper brackets appear to be made of cheese, and both front and rear bumpers needed re-alignment after using the bumper jack.
I now use a bottle jack at rear. Up front, I use a trolley jack under the bell crank to take the entire front end up (with a u-shape piece of wood to fit around the bell crank and rest on the cross member instead) and supported with engine stands under each chassis rail.
So in short, don't use the bumper jack.

Quentin
07-23-2015, 06:29 AM
PS- in regard to the tyre, the hold-down bolt is available from Stude Int. for $9.

stude dude
07-23-2015, 07:26 AM
$9 gets you the hold down bolt (too short if using 6" rims) but it seems that many new Studebaker owners don't realise an upside down jack base also served as the centering device for the spare tire. I had a new customer try to give me his base the other day until I explained to him that it served a dual purpose. The base and bolt will solve your tire rattle problems. And without doubt the original equipment bumper jacks must be reserved for emergency use only, not just for safety reasons but for the misalignment they cause with bumper brackets and damage to chrome plating. Lark bumpers are particularly vulnerable here.

Chris.

Treblig
07-23-2015, 07:49 AM
I posted this yesterday but it disappeared so here it is again.....

I always use a Monte Carlo jack in all my hot rods (non-stock cars). It can raise a car very high, is very stable, won't try and spin/rotate when you crank on the handle (scissor jacks) and stores easily when collapsed:

I modify the part that mounts against the frame so that it fits into a hole in the frame or a depression so that it fits snug and is less likely to become dislodged. It also comes with a handle that give you lots of leverage.

Treblig

dleroux
07-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Treblig,
Where did you purchase the Monte Carlo jack?

Treblig
07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Treblig,
Where did you purchase the Monte Carlo jack?

I believe they were the same for 78 to 88. They were also used on the Grand Nationals (and maybe some other cars). I get them from ebay unless you can find one at the local pick and pull. They run from $15 up to $125 for an NOS one. I usually get one for around $15-$20 in nice shape then sand and paint and it looks brand new!! Sometimes you can get lucky (like I did once) and get a really nice one for $18, just depends on the seller.

treblig

garrilla
07-23-2015, 10:32 PM
I posted this yesterday but it disappeared so here it is again.....

I always use a Monte Carlo jack in all my hot rods (non-stock cars). It can raise a car very high, is very stable, won't try and spin/rotate when you crank on the handle (scissor jacks) and stores easily when collapsed:

I modify the part that mounts against the frame so that it fits into a hole in the frame or a depression so that it fits snug and is less likely to become dislodged. It also comes with a handle that give you lots of leverage.

Treblig

It looks like the head on this jack doesn't pivot, so as your raising the car it seems that the frame to jack point would become less stable. What jacking points on the frame could be used safely?

TWChamp
07-23-2015, 11:50 PM
It looks like the head on this jack doesn't pivot, so as your raising the car it seems that the frame to jack point would become less stable. What jacking points on the frame could be used safely?

It looks like a good style jack, but I was wondering the same thing about the top pad?

Treblig
07-24-2015, 07:42 AM

It does pivot, if it didn't I wouldn't use it. I've used a few of these over the years on different hot rods (older cars). I always look under the frame and look for two things. First I look for a large hole or opening on the bottom side of the frame. If I find a large hole (like I have on some cars) I weld a stub onto the pad so that the stub fits into the hole. It can a round hole or a square hole. This way the jack becomes very stable. This jack is designed very ingeniously, as you raise the pad the jack continues to center itself under the jacking point. I love the design. I you don't find a hole you can either make a hole or (like I have done on other cars) I measure the width of the frame and weld two vertical pieces of metal on two sides of the pad so as to cradle the frame. It becomes virtually impossible for the jack to become dislodged if it cradles the frame or is stuck in a hole.
The other really good feature of this jack is that the handle gives you plenty of leverage and lifts the car fairly easy. Scissor jack handles give you very little leverage and besides, scissor jacks tend to rotate and move all over the place when you first start to raise it because you have to rotate the handle. The MC jack allows you to raise the car by moving the jack handle up and down which keeps the jack stable.
Treblig

bezhawk
07-24-2015, 08:14 AM
The Monte Carlo jack works very similar to the 58 Packard Hawk jack!

Treblig
08-01-2015, 05:08 PM
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!461214612246123

It looks a little beat up but it's actually in very nice condition (very little wear on the gear teeth). I went to a swap meet last weekend and found this guy trying to sell this jack. He had it marked "$10". I offered him $5 but he wouldn't take it. On the last day of the swap meet late in the afternoon, as everyone was packing up, I saw him packing his stuff and saw the jack again. I offered him $5 bucks and he accepted my offer. After I'm done sanding and painting it should look pretty much brand new!! It didn't come with a handle but since I have 3 or 4 handles at home on the shelf I didn't care. I'll check the Stude frame and look for a large hole or a good place to make sure the jack "locks in" somewhere so it can't slip off the frame. If you look at the pad (where it touches the car frame) you'll see a round protrusion sticking up in the center. This protrusion would normally fit into a hole in the Monte Carlo frame making the jack very stable. I'll design the same kind of feature for the Stude frame.
This will go in the Silver Hawk to make it easy (and safe) for my daughter to get her flat tires changed. I'll also pack a lug nut cross in there to make it easier to break the lug nuts loose.

treblig

TWChamp
08-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Treblig, even if you just found a small hole in the frame, you could bolt a metal cap to it and use that as a jack pocket.

Treblig
08-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Treblig, even if you just found a small hole in the frame, you could bolt a metal cap to it and use that as a jack pocket.

You know....I hadn't thought of that method!! That would make it easier, just get some very short sections of pipe (that will fit over the jack boss) and weld them onto the frame in the four strategic spots (front and rear). I'd say a 3/16 tall section of pipe would be all that's required. Weld them in place and they'll be there forever!!
And for those who don't weld you could use the bolt on method using any small hole found on the bottom of the frame.
treblig