No announcement yet.

Would Someone Save This Today? (Wreck)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Someone Save This Today? (Wreck)

(copy)

Exploring My Family Tree: Not Forgotten - The Car Wreck

When sorting through my great uncle's photos, I came across this series of pictures and after questioning my grandfather, learned that my great grandfather Victor Kuck had survived not one but two very bad car wrecks. In a later wreck, he had been hauling all his and my great grandma Grace's possessions in a car trailer from their former home in Rockford, Iowa to their new home in Fort Meyers, Florida and ended up rolling it multiple times. He survived unhurt, got the remaining possessions gathered up in another but now much smaller trailer and continued on his journey. In the wreck pictured in this series of pictures, he wasn't so lucky.

As you can see from the top picture, he was broadsided at a fairly high rate of speed in 1952, well before seat belts. He was thrown across the car hard enough that you can see the passenger door significantly bowed out where a side view mirror would go on a modern day car where Victor's body and head slammed into it. He ended up in a coma with multiple holes drilled through his skull to relieve pressure and fortunately ended up surviving it.

As I scanned these pictures, my mind gravitated to what kind of car this was. I couldn't find any wording but it did have a distinctive albeit unfamiliar emblem on the front of the car. After some surfing, I'm fairly certain that what I'm looking at is an early 1950's Studebaker but don't know the exact model of the car. I'm guessing perhaps the Commander Starliner or Skyliner Champion? Google will have one picture that says it is one but then another picture, totally different under the same name. I've gone back and forth and still don't know what it is other than a Studebaker of early 50's vintage.

When I see these old cars, I am amazed at how far vehicle technology has come. Now a days they have seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc. Back then, the technology was to put as much metal between you and the other driver and hope you or both walk away.

I'm not sure how to take this last picture of the opposite side of the car as the impact. With the tire folded under, was he pushed up against a curb or perhaps something else that left the scrape marks on the fender? What I do know is I wouldn't mind having one of those cars. One in this shape could go for $5k and one in good shape upwards of $25k. Certainly not very high compared to other vehicles of the era but not too shabby.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a '53 two-door sedan to me.

Comment

The blogger needs to look at the drivers side grill bar with a magnifying glass.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

53 Champion. It would be a hard save of a car that would likely not return much in resale.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

You mean if it locked up in a water tight garage 'as is', and seeing daylight for the first time since the accident happened and put up for sale?

My vote would be 'no', despite hardly any rust on it as it would have been on the road for less than a year. As 52-fan states, it is not a highly desirable body style, and being a Champion would not make it a likely candidate for restoration. However, it would probably yield a few parts for someone restoring a sedan from that year.

Craig

Comment

In 1952 if correct, it had to be no more than 4 MONTHS Old! A 1953 Champion 2 Door Sedan.
            The writer does not understand is NOT a Starlight or Starliner Coupe/Hardtop Sport Model which goes a Long way toward it's value, then and more so, now.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A total loss is a total loss...
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I would sock it away in climate controlled garage simply for all the interior items. The body has dents but the car couldn't have had more than 5,000 miles. It's worth more in parts than whole

Comment

I believe the right side fender scrapes are from a rotating large truck tire it was perhaps pushed into.

Comment

I wonder if our older cars would fare better in a collision with a modern car. Judging from the flimsy metal and Styrofoam bumpers on the new cars, they might. I suspect the passengers in today's cars are better protected than back in the 50s. I'm not about to go out and try it just to see, however.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I thought my daily driven 62 GT would be a tank if hit by a modern car. After seeing this video, I added 3 point seat belts for as much passenger safety as I could get. I figure as long as the passengers stay in the car and don't hit the dash, we would have a good chance of survival.

Tim
                      sigpic
                      Tim Johnston
                      Collierville TN

Comment

In a vintage car YOU are the crumple zone...
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'm not so sure, I crashed with my -63 Valiant a few years ago & the other 2 modern cars had to be towed away & I put my car to the side & waited until everyone had gone & drove it home...
                          The nearest car's window exploded & the car itself just crumbled up, it was a quite big yap car, & I had to work on my panels ofcourse but I kinda get the feeling from this movie that the -59 seems extremely empty, like as if it wouldn't have any engine...
                          I know that Volvo in the 80's here in Sweden bought all cars back that started to rust & toyota did some cheating to look more dependable than they really were so why not fake this movie a wee bit? After all it's about selling ENOUGH NEW stuff or not...

& yeah, I would take on that Studebaker wreck!

Comment

All things considered, this film does give one pause to think. Assuming (yeah I know) there wasn't any cheating (that Chevy seems to just go to pieces, doesn't it?), the performance of the Bel Air was... disappointing to say the least. I seriously doubt any of my Studebakers would fare any better (or even as well). However, all of that said, most modern cars are so much lighter than the old cars, weight is an advantage to the classic driver. One is in trouble, as this video displays, when in an equal contest though. Even a modern pickup would plaster any Studebaker car. May the good Lord protect us all on the road from that possibility.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Timj View Post
                              I thought my daily driven 62 GT would be a tank if hit by a modern car. After seeing this video, I added 3 point seat belts for as much passenger safety as I could get. I figure as long as the passengers stay in the car and don't hit the dash, we would have a good chance of survival.

Tim
                              Don't let BP catch you showing this again!!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=malibu

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X