PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: HELP: need Canadian source of GL-1 90 mineral oil

55sedan
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
I am hoping that some of the members on here may have had success finding GL-1 90 gear lube (or even SAE 40 non detergent) as I certainly have had no luck. I realize it is readily available at NAPA in the US, and have given that product # to the local NAPA here but they do not have a listing for it or any other source here in Canada. I have run out of places to check in my area of London Ontario. (NAPA, Carquest, APC, Canadian Tire, TSC, John Deere dealer). SAE 30 non detergent is readily available. Is it too thin? What are people putting in their transmissions north of the border? Certainly there must be something available!

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chris

Flashback
07-21-2015, 04:53 PM
I assume TSC means Tractor supply co. That's where I get it here in Alabama. Have you tried Ford tractor Dealers ?

55sedan
07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Yes Tractor Supply. They shortened their signs to simply TSC here. Also spoke to a Ford NewHolland Dealer ( I live in farm country) and no luck their either. Really frustrating.

Captain Billy
07-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Go to a large truck service center and take a couple of containers.

njonkman
07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
I am using Amsoil Severe Gear SAE 75W90 Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant. Transmission runs quiet, shifts smooth and you can barely feel the overdrive shifting. I get it from George Burgin in Kirkton just a bit north of London. He is a distributor. His phone number is 519 two two nine . eight nine six five. George's wife is having some serious health problems so you may not catch him first time you call. I dropped by his place a couple of weeks ago and he was just on his way out to go to the hospital to be with his wife.
You won't regret using that product. Just tell him Nick sent you.
Nick

StudeRich
07-22-2015, 12:41 AM
I do not know about Synthetics but normally EP Oils are what you need to avoid in Manual Overdrive Transmissions.

Non-Detergent single weight Mineral Engine Oil should be 40 Wt. for Transmissions.

I thought I remembered someone here saying they found it at NAPA Canada, but under a different Part Number? :confused:

njonkman
07-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Back in Dec. 2010 and Jan 2011 Turning Wheels there was quite a discussion on oil for the tranny.
Amsoil 75w90 synthetic as I am using was one of the suggested alternatives. That is why I am using it. In the Jan issue there were some further sugestions that it caused problems with hard shifting while others had been using it with no problems. One person switched to Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W90 (API GL-4)
George will likely have that too.
Nick

2moredoors
07-23-2015, 12:53 PM
For my 1955 Studebaker I have used Dentax 80W-90, this I purchsed from a tractor dealer in the Niagara area. I did call him this morning to check out GL1-90 and was told it was a Kendall product.

I just spoke to the dealer and he told me that the depot has it available only in 18 litre pails and the retail price is $146.00.

The Dentax that I have been using is no longer available it was made by Shell.

garyash
07-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Look for Pennzoil Manual Transmission Fluid at any good auto parts store. It is made to work with the brass/bronze parts, like synchronizer rings. It's available in quart bottles.

55sedan
07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Thanks Gary. I had looked up the Pennziol a while ago when I saw it on the shelf thinking it might work. Apparently works well in modern synchro transmissions but not the old ones. Here is the info I read.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/do-not-use-pennzoil-synchromesh-transmission-fluid.936627/

55sedan
07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks you all for the continuing help. 2moredoors I really appreciate you taking the time to make those calls. njonkman I know exactly who you are talking about. I only live about 15 minutes from Kirkton and drive by his sign quite often. Again the jury seems to be out on synthetics in the older transmissions. Fifth Avenue Garage who seems to be the most involved with supplying parts for the BW recommends against it.

We are heading to Boston for a family holiday the beginning of August so if I can't find any before that I will try to bring some back from the states with me. I'll have to map out all the NAPA and Tractor Supply outlets between Buffalo and Boston.

Greenstude
07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
I got my supply of 40-weight oil a few years ago from a bus company which still had a few older highway coaches with 2-cycle Detroit Diesel engines. These coaches used it in both the engines and standard transmissions. So, try your local Detroit Diesel repair shop, and also oil company bulk plants.