PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker factory suppliers

Scott
07-21-2015, 01:51 PM
I've often wondered who all the companies were that supplied Studebaker with their components. I'd like to put together a list covering several categories and maybe subcategories. Can anyone add to this? It changed year by year, but still I think it could be helpful. Here are some I know.

Transmission: Borg-Warner
Brakes: wagner or bendix?
Carburetors: Rochester, Carter
Wheelcovers and trim: Lyon Industries
Steering: Saginaw (I can't remember the other big one at the moment)
Distributors: Autolite, Prestolite, Delco
Radios: Delco
Batteries: Willard
Differential: Dana
Bearings: Timken?
Tires: Dunlop
Shocks: Gabriel
Gauges: Stewart Warner
Paint: Ditzler

Now here are some categories I know nothing about:
Glass
Interior fabrics
Plastic parts
Mirrors and cast trim pieces
Climatizer parts
Wheels
Rubber gaskets
Window regulators
Steering wheels
Gas tanks
Pulleys
Leaf springs
Wiring harnesses
Antennas
Carpet
Rubber mats

Thanks for any information.

Greenstude
07-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Add Ross steering and Philco radios.

8E45E
07-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Tires were also supplied by Allstate, Goodyear, Firestone, and U.S.Royal/Dominion Rubber (Uniroyal).

There were recent threads on paint suppliers, including Niles Paint Company and O'Brien. And in Canada, C-I-L was a paint supplier for Hamilton assemble Studebakers.

Switches: Indak, Rockette Div.- Cutler-Hammer

Sunroofs: Golde

Lamps: General Electric, Lenses: Rite-Way, Liberty Lens

Filler caps; fuel/radiator/oil: Stant

Craig

Guido
07-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Edwards Iron Works supplied some truck bodies. M series and Champ pickup trucks used bodies that originated with Budd and Dodge. I think JDP worked for a company that supplied bumpers.

Guido
07-21-2015, 02:08 PM
GM supplied the engines in '65-'66 as well as the Diesel engines in '62-'64. Hercules supplied truck engines in the '30's as well as for the US6.

57pack
07-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Eaton for power steering pumps.

DEEPNHOCK
07-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Herwich Iron
Budd Stamping co.

RadioRoy
07-21-2015, 02:27 PM
starters and generators and voltage regulators - Delco, Autolite = Prestolite
Radios - Philco 55 and older. Delco 56 and newer

Radiators - McCord and others

Power steering - Saginaw and Bendix

Commander Eddie
07-21-2015, 02:33 PM
carburetors: Stromberg

Commander Eddie
07-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Differentials: Spicer (?)

RadioRoy
07-21-2015, 03:01 PM
carburetors: Stromberg

And Carter made carburetors, too.

Accessories were made by lots of specialty shops.
-the "no-blo" wind deflectors were made for GM cars also
-the wire wheel covers from the Speedsters and other years also appeared on Nash and Kaiser cars, in slightly different configurations

- - - Updated - - -

StudeRich
07-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Transmission: Borg-Warner, Detroit Gear Div. BW.
Brakes Drum: Wagner Lockheed, Lockheed, Bendix only on Disc. Brakes
Carburetors: Rochester only on '65-'66, Carter, Bendix Stromberg
Steering: Saginaw, Ross
Electrical: Autolite, Prestolite, Delco
Radios: Delco, Philco
Batteries: Willard, Globe in '63-'64
Differential: Dana Spicer
Bearings: Timken and Bower
Tires: #1: Firestone, Dunlop, U.S. Royal, Allstate, Goodyear>only on Captive Air/3 Seat Wagons
Shocks: Gabriel, Hodalye (sp)
Leaf Springs: Detroit Eaton
Suspension Bushings: Harris
Paint: Ditzler, RM
Electrical Switches: Aetna-Pollak
Wheels: Budd Corp., Kelsey Hayes
Locks: Yale, Hurd
Lenses: Teaco, Guide, AP
U Joints: Mechanics, Spicer
Nameplates/Emblems: Ross
Four-Way Flasher System: Signal Stat
Glass: LOF, PPG
Bodies and Frames: Budd Corp.
Avanti Bodies: Molded Fiberglass Corp. Ashtabula, OH
STP: STP Division, Studebaker Corp.
Gaskets: Victor, Felpro
Heater Control Valves: Ranco
Headlight Bucket Assemblies: Hobbs, Hall
Crankshafts: (this was found recently, but I forgot who)
Pistons: Alcoa
Piston Rings and Roto-Cap valve rotators in H.D. Truck Engines: Perfect Circle/Sealed Power.
Exhaust Valves: Eaton
Main Bearings & Rod Bearings on H.D. Truck & Avanti: Clevite 77 Tri-Metal
PCV Valves: Carter
Fuel Pumps: Carter '55-'64 V8's, AC Sixes & '51-'54 V8.
Spark Plugs: Champion
Wiper Blades: Trico

Maroon = Added by me to your original List.

Guido
07-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Superchargers, McCulloch and Paxton.

Scott
07-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the great list so far! There are still a lot of holes. A few of these names I never heard of before. I never would have thought that headlight buckets would have been out-sourced.

Skip Lackie
07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the great list so far! There are still a lot of holes. A few of these names I never heard of before. I never would have thought that headlight buckets would have been out-sourced.

The 64 Lark-type dual headlights all look the same, but they're made by both Hall and Hobbs, and most of the parts, including the external rims, do NOT interchange between the two. Some of us have found that out the hard way.

Scott
07-21-2015, 05:19 PM
The 64 Lark-type dual headlights all look the same, but they're made by both Hall and Hobbs, and most of the parts, including the external rims, do NOT interchange between the two. Some of us have found that out the hard way.
That reminds me of some post or article I saw some years ago saying that the name of the manufacturer is on the bucket. You just have to be able to see it.

StudeRich
07-21-2015, 11:45 PM
That reminds me of some post or article I saw some years ago saying that the name of the manufacturer is on the bucket. You just have to be able to see it.

Most Parts on Studebakers from Suppliers had not only the Co. Name but also the City and State they came from, usually they did NOT say USA, it was a given since there would be VERY few non-USA Parts, I can only think of one, the Mercedes Door Latches on Avantis made in Germany, The Original Disc. Brake Calipers (Hydraulic Cylinders) were Dunlop England, design but licensed and Mfg. by Bendix USA.

If your Studebaker Dealer installed Vogue Tyres (the ones with the "Quilted" Look sidewalls) on your Studebaker, like some like Cadillac Dealers did, they would come from England.

8E45E
07-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Most Parts on Studebakers from Suppliers had not only the Co. Name but also the City and State they came from, usually they did NOT say USA, it was a given since there would be VERY few non-USA Parts, I can only think of one, the Mercedes Door Latches on Avantis made in Germany.

Golde, also of Germany, was a supplier of Skytop sunroofs and the appropriate hardware for it.

Craig

64Avanti
07-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Most Parts on Studebakers ... I can only think of one, the Mercedes Door Latches on Avantis made in Germany, The Original Disc. Brake Calipers (Hydraulic Cylinders) were Dunlop England, design but licensed and Mfg. by Bendix USA.

The first few hundred perhaps brake calipers were built by Dunlop with an aluminum plate glued on with the Bendix name.

64Avanti
07-22-2015, 12:52 AM
I forgot to add that D.A.B supplied rod and main bearings. American Bosch supplied electric window motors on the Avanti.

8E45E
07-23-2015, 08:00 AM
What happened to the additional posts from yesterday???

Craig

56H-Y6
07-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Cast trim parts: Doehler-Jarvis in Toledo, check my spelling

Scott
07-23-2015, 11:17 AM
What happened to the additional posts from yesterday???

Craig

Beats me. Pretty odd.

Scott
07-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Cast trim parts: Doehler-Jarvis in Toledo, check my spelling
Thanks 56H-Y6! That's a name I've never heard in 25 years of being in the club.

56H-Y6
07-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi

Doehler-Jarvis specialized in white-metal castings, did that work for all automakers. One of their largest was the '51-'54 Packard grille frame: 60.5 wide, 16.5 high, 15 lbs.! While we love the sharp, jewelry-like quality of pot-metal castings, they are now the bane of restorers....to say nothing of the expense!

Steve

Buzzard
07-24-2015, 11:49 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the selling features of Avanti's was the Mercedes sourced door lock/latch assembly which was touted to stay latched even in a serious accident. My '70 has them but they were replaced in my '83 with a much cheaper more common style.
Someone here must know more about this than myself.
Bill

Scott
07-24-2015, 12:39 PM
And Carter made carburetors, too.

Accessories were made by lots of specialty shops.
-the "no-blo" wind deflectors were made for GM cars also
-the wire wheel covers from the Speedsters and other years also appeared on Nash and Kaiser cars, in slightly different configurations

- - - Updated - - -
And of course most of us know by now that Hallibrand supplied mag wheels.

61LaRk4dr
07-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Odd Ball Info for Accessory Parts:

Auto Serv/Kleenex Tissue Company: Interior Dash Mounted Tissue Dispensers. Between 1947 and 1951 the chrome tissue dispensers were the same for all companies. only difference was the red logo spelling out the specific car brand name. Look up "GM tissue dispenser" on Feebay sometime...........goes for way more than a Studebaker one....which makes you wonder if the value is within the name alone!

NO-MAR: Gas door guards. Seen a NO-MAR package Studebaker guard sell for way less than a Studebaker packaged one...yet the same product.

Trico: Glass windshield washer reservoirs used on the earlier models. Expensive either way.

Atlas/Stant: Locking gas caps.

Samsonite: Luggage sets????

Draw-Matic: Vacuum assisted dashboard cigarette lighter.

DieselJim
07-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Royal Rubber supplied the body and fender shims made from tires. Chuck Naugle told me that was his first job while in high school.

8E45E
07-24-2015, 02:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the selling features of Avanti's was the Mercedes sourced door lock/latch assembly which was touted to stay latched even in a serious accident.

They sure didn't help here!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?87468-Avanti-bodymans-special&p=910142#post910142

Craig

Scott
07-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Transmission: Borg-Warner, Detroit Gear Div. BW.
Brakes Drum: Wagner Lockheed, Lockheed, Bendix only on Disc. Brakes
Carburetors: Rochester only on '65-'66, Carter, Bendix Stromberg
Steering: Saginaw, Ross
Electrical: Autolite, Prestolite, Delco
Radios: Delco, Philco
Batteries: Willard, Globe in '63-'64
Differential: Dana Spicer
Bearings: Timken and Bower
Tires: #1: Firestone, Dunlop, U.S. Royal, Allstate, Goodyear>only on Captive Air/3 Seat Wagons
Shocks: Gabriel, Hodalye (sp)
Leaf Springs: Detroit Eaton
Suspension Bushings: Harris
Paint: Ditzler, RM
Electrical Switches: Aetna-Pollak
Wheels: Budd Corp., Kelsey Hayes
Locks: Yale, Hurd
Lenses: Teaco, Guide, AP
U Joints: Mechanics, Spicer
Nameplates/Emblems: Ross
Four-Way Flasher System: Signal Stat
Glass: LOF, PPG
Bodies and Frames: Budd Corp.
Avanti Bodies: Molded Fiberglass Corp. Ashtabula, OH
STP: STP Division, Studebaker Corp.
Gaskets: Victor, Felpro
Heater Control Valves: Ranco
Headlight Bucket Assemblies: Hobbs, Hall
Crankshafts: (this was found recently, but I forgot who)
Pistons: Alcoa
Piston Rings and Roto-Cap valve rotators in H.D. Truck Engines: Perfect Circle/Sealed Power.
Exhaust Valves: Eaton
Main Bearings & Rod Bearings on H.D. Truck & Avanti: Clevite 77 Tri-Metal
PCV Valves: Carter
Fuel Pumps: Carter '55-'64 V8's, AC Sixes & '51-'54 V8.
Spark Plugs: Champion
Wiper Blades: Trico

Maroon = Added by me to your original List.

Did the same people who made the plastic lenses make the horn buttons?

JRoberts
07-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Although they were GM items, the engines in '65 and '66 were manufactured by McKinnon Industries in Hamilton, Ohio.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Studebaker- engines [1910? - 1964] NOT ford.

StudeRich
07-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Did the same people who made the plastic lenses make the horn buttons?

I do not know who the Horn button Mfg. was but I seriously doubt they would be made by those Giant Lense Mfg. who did them for many makes by injection molding, it would have been some smaller specialty Co. and I have never seen any marked.

Warren Webb
07-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Although they were GM items, the engines in '65 and '66 were manufactured by McKinnon Industries in Hamilton, Ohio.

McKinnon Industries was located in St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada, just a few miles from the Studebaker Hamilton plant.

Hawklover
07-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Mufflers and pipes were supplied by Northern Tube.

8E45E
07-24-2015, 06:17 PM
I do not know who the Horn button Mfg. was but I seriously doubt they would be made by those Giant Lense Mfg. who did them for many makes by injection molding, it would have been some smaller specialty Co. and I have never seen any marked.

Rohm & Haas supplied the Plexiglas for many of the molded plastic lenses, emblems, etc. Unfortunately the link for the 1961 Lark lenses has disappeared from the thread on it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?10797-61-Tail-lights&highlight=1961+lenses

Craig

studerex
07-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Years ago there was a card file at Standard surplus that listed the manufacturer of the parts by number. It also gave the dates ordered and quantity. I bet Stude international has it now.
Also in 1952 there was a special issue newspaper that had many of Studebakers suppliers congratulating them on the 100 year anniversary. There were hundreds of suppliers.

garyash
07-24-2015, 10:20 PM
The stamped brass horn button cover for 1941 cars and M and R series trucks, part # 199942, was made by Sheller Manufacturing Co. of Portland, IN. It is possible that the Bakelite form under it was made by Ross (now owned by TRW). I'm pretty sure that Sheller made lots of horn buttons and all of the steering wheels for Studebaker. See Google patents for patent 2,061,222 for Ross' 1936 patent on horn buttons.

JRoberts
07-24-2015, 11:10 PM
McKinnon Industries was located in St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada, just a few miles from the Studebaker Hamilton plant.

Thanks, Warren, for that info. I had always thought McKinnon Industries was in Hamilton.

Studebakercenteroforegon
07-25-2015, 01:40 AM
I am retired from the aluminum and zinc die casting industry. Way back in the 1960s the American Die Cast Industries had a chart showing the cast in logos of various die casters. I noted that the logo on a '61 - '62 V-8 die cast aluminum oil filler standpipe was Litemetal Diecasting, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Scott
07-25-2015, 01:34 PM
I am retired from the aluminum and zinc die casting industry. Way back in the 1960s the American Die Cast Industries had a chart showing the cast in logos of various die casters. I noted that the logo on a '61 - '62 V-8 die cast aluminum oil filler standpipe was Litemetal Diecasting, Benton Harbor, Michigan.
This is very interesting. I should not be surprised, but I'm getting the impression that what Studebaker made on-site was essentially the frames, engine blocks (and cranks?) and the body parts, unless those were out-sourced as well.

StudeRich
07-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Yes Post #12 shows those were all outsourced except the Engines and Fenders, possibly Doors.

They did make all the interior pieces in house, Kick Panels, Package Trays, 1/4 Panels, Door Panels, Seat Covers, maybe Headliners.

Scott
07-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Yes Post #12 shows those were all outsourced except the Engines and Fenders, possibly Doors.

They did make all the interior pieces in house, Kick Panels, Package Trays, 1/4 Panels, Door Panels, Seat Covers, maybe Headliners.
Yes, I see you mentioned even they outsourced crankshafts, but you didn't know who to (ok, I know it should be 'to whom"). That really surprises me, maybe because I thought I saw some old video showing the machining done in-house. I probably mis-remember it and the video showed engine block machining.

It would be nice to be able to attach a source to the fabrics and vinyl.

StudeRich
07-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Yes, I see you mentioned even they outsourced crankshafts, but you didn't know who to (ok, I know it should be 'to whom"). That really surprises me, maybe because I thought I saw some old video showing the machining done in-house. I probably mis-remember it and the video showed engine block machining.

It would be nice to be able to attach a source to the fabrics and vinyl.

Now you are getting TOO technical, Upholstery Materials would change almost every Year.

It is possible that the Cranks were Cast at the Supplier and Machined in house, but that Post saying who did them was quite recent.

UPDATE: Found one Post here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?19539-New-crankshafts&highlight=crankshafts

JDP who lived in the South Bend area in the 60's, says Hurwich Iron Supplied them, finished or unfinished, I do not know.

Hallabutt
07-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Standard was a stamping mill, I think that they were in South Bend, that made fenders etc. during the 30's for both Studebaker and Pierce Arrow.

64Avanti
07-29-2015, 02:09 AM
Crankshafts were forged not cast.

8E45E
07-29-2015, 07:43 AM

For Hamilton production, and outfit called Canadian Automotive Trim, Ltd. made the door panels.

Craig

Scott
07-29-2015, 01:28 PM
"Now you are getting TOO technical, Upholstery Materials would change almost every Year. "

Sure, upholstery materials changed all the time, but that doesn't mean Studebaker never used the same supplier twice (or three or 40 times).

Scott
07-29-2015, 01:30 PM
For Hamilton production, and outfit called Canadian Automotive Trim, Ltd. made the door panels.

Craig
So is it safe to assume that all 1965 and 1966 cars have door panels from Canadian Automotive Trim?

StudeRich
07-29-2015, 02:47 PM
So is it safe to assume that all 1965 and 1966 cars have door panels from Canadian Automotive Trim?

Yes and probably "Most" of the Imported to the U.S. second series 1964 Models, but many Parts were intermixed with parts from South Bend so anything is possible on those.

STEWDI
07-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Many obscure parts yet to be sourced. Dash knobs? Those off-beat "Canadian" wheel covers? Jacks? Pedal arms (l guess we should care - at least a bit)?

The vinyl for at least '65 and likely '66 was produced by B F Goodrich in my former home town of Kitchener, Ontario. This was discovered by an SDC'r , Stan Allen who worked there for many years. In the 'late '80's he persuaded the right people there to make a small run of the 1965 red that he needed for his Cruiser!! It was a perfect match!

An obscure part is the torsion bars that hold the hoods and trunk lids up on later Larks and Lark-types, at least for Canadian cars. According to a friend who should know, these were also made in Kitchener, by B and W Heat Treating. The story goes that when production was terminated in March of '66, the company was "stuck" with unused production and they were not happy.

Mark Klinger
07-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Stubnitz-Greene Spring Co. of Adrian, MI did seat spring assemblies. At least that's the tag on my rear seats from 1957.

Scott
08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Many obscure parts yet to be sourced. Dash knobs? Those off-beat "Canadian" wheel covers? Jacks? Pedal arms (l guess we should care - at least a bit)?

The vinyl for at least '65 and likely '66 was produced by B F Goodrich in my former home town of Kitchener, Ontario. This was discovered by an SDC'r , Stan Allen who worked there for many years. In the 'late '80's he persuaded the right people there to make a small run of the 1965 red that he needed for his Cruiser!! It was a perfect match!

An obscure part is the torsion bars that hold the hoods and trunk lids up on later Larks and Lark-types, at least for Canadian cars. According to a friend who should know, these were also made in Kitchener, by B and W Heat Treating. The story goes that when production was terminated in March of '66, the company was "stuck" with unused production and they were not happy.

This is one of the reasons I opened this thread. I had no idea that Goodrich made things like vinyl. I also like to think that under the right circumstances (like with them) some new parts could be made to the original specs. Apparently, it can happen. Now, if only we had some way to bend Stewart-Warner's arm. Who knows if they even have old documentation? I would't dream any old tooling is still laying around.

T.J. lavallee
08-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Windshield wiper motor for 1959' and 1960' Lark: American Bosh. Springfield Ma.

kurtruk
08-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Clocks supplied by Borg.

Studebaker1965
08-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Who supplied carpet for the 65-66 models? The 64 carpet looks a few shades darker maroon than the 65 carpet, which has more of a reddish maroon. I assume suppliers changed.

Kato
08-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Yep, corner of St. Paul S.t W. and Louth St. in St. Catharines, Ontario. Grew up near there and know people who worked there. It's now TRW I believe.

T.J. lavallee
08-02-2015, 01:44 PM
American Bosh- Springfield, Ma 1959'-1960 Lark wiper motor

Scott
08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks, T.J. I did not know that one either.

StudeRich
08-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Who supplied carpet for the 65-66 models? The 64 carpet looks a few shades darker maroon than the 65 carpet, which has more of a reddish maroon. I assume suppliers changed.

I believe the Canadian '64's had the same Canadian made, Dark Maroon-Burgundy Carpet as '65-'66.

Studebaker1965
08-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Rich, do you think the South Bend cars had darker carpet? Side by side, my two NOS carpets are different shades of red. I assumed it was due to different suppliers.

StudeRich
08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Rich, do you think the South Bend cars had darker carpet? Side by side, my two NOS carpets are different shades of red. I assumed it was due to different suppliers.
No, just the Opposite.

It is so hard today to tell or know if one is looking at ORIGINAL Carpets or not, and then there is the Fading which happens a lot to Reds.

I just seem to remember Dad's Original 2nd. Series '64 from Hamilton having Darker Carpet than South Bend Cars which were a LITTLE bit more Red than Maroon/Burgundy like on Canadian Cars.

The Canadian '64-'66 Dashes are the very "Best", having more leather Graining and much more durable, less cracking material, since they were made by a different Vender in Canada.

8E45E
08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Posst #8 for the leather interior: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?4673-Stock-leather-interiors&highlight=leather

Craig

Scott
08-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Rohm & Haas supplied the Plexiglas for many of the molded plastic lenses, emblems, etc. Unfortunately the link for the 1961 Lark lenses has disappeared from the thread on it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?10797-61-Tail-lights&highlight=1961+lenses

Craig
Here is a very informative ad about the 1961 taillight lenses. I didn't know they were a first!

sochocki
08-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Roth Plating, South Bend.

8E45E
08-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Here is a very informative ad about the 1961 taillight lenses. I didn't know they were a first!

Yes indeed, that is the exact ad which disappeared from that link.

Craig

2moredoors
08-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Yep, corner of St. Paul S.t W. and Louth St. in St. Catharines, Ontario. Grew up near there and know people who worked there. It's now TRW I believe.

McKinnon Industries is/was on Ontario Street in St.Catharines later known as GM Plant 1, there is a Plant 2 on Glendale Avenue. Plant 1, the old McKinnon Industries building is no longer in use and has been stripped of all its machinery. I believe it will be torn down and sold as there is no chance of repurposing the building. The TRW plant you refer to was called Thompson Products, I think it was a division of TRW. I have relatives who worked for both GM and TRW.