Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1951 Starlight suspension interchange question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 1951 Starlight suspension interchange question.

Hello all, I recently acquired a 1951 Commander Starlight coupe, that is missing most of it's front and rear suspension. I know I have read that Studebaker restyled the suspension in 51, and used pretty much the same suspension up to 66. But what cars would be a direct bolt on suspension replacement for my Starlight? I know where there is a early 60's Lark, that I might be able to pickup for a song. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

60's Lark will bolt right up, in fact use it all, including the brakes. Being your car is a V8, your parts car should also since they have larger brakes, heavier suspension springs and rear axle.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I'm not sure about swapping the front parts, but the rear end is a different width for 51-52 than the later cars. I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma rear end in my Commander, but the wheel bolt pattern is different. I hope you have the rear springs.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I did a little bit of researching, and found out that this Lark that I know of is actually a 1960 4 door Lark VIII. Has the V8 intact, but is a pretty high mileage engine.And 52 Fan, my starlight does have the springs, just no rear end.

Comment

You should be good then with a Lark VIII all except the Differential, too wide.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The rear on the '60 Lark VIII would fit the '53 and later, but not the '51. But, you're in Idaho! There's a crapload of old Studes scattered all over your state! Are you in touch with your local SDC chapter members? Explore resources and networking; even more valuable than our great vendors.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I scrapped the original rear end that was in 52 fan's car several years ago.

Comment

Thanks guys, I actually just picked up the Lark yesterday. Sounds like all the front suspension will work, but not the rear end eh? Anybody have any info or advice on doin the swap?

Comment

If the Lark has under 100k miles. I would grease and clean all parts. Replace the wheel cyls. Then install.

If the Lark has over 100k then I would consider rebuilding all parts b4 installation.

Comment

Working...
                  X